Match Report


Sat 12 Sep 09

The U's gained their second away draw in succession, with Ashley Vincent scoring the U's goal in the first half of the 1-1 draw at Swindon.

Vincent's goal was cancelled out by a forty-fourth minute equaliser by Obadeyi and neither side could net a winner in the second half.

A point apiece saw both sides move up a place in the league, with the U's finishing the day in sixth place.

U's boss Aidy Boothroyd made two changes to his starting eleven, enforced on him by injury and suspension to Pat Baldwin and Kem Izzet respectively. Matt Heath and Simon Hackney were the two players coming into the side, with Anthony Wordsworth moving into the centre of midfield to accommodate Hackney on the left. Steven Gillespie was named on the bench, alongside fellow forwards Scott Vernon and Jamie Guy. Phil Ifil, Mark Cousins, Matt Lockwood and David Fox made up the bench for the visitors. Swindon boss Danny Wilson originally made two changes to his starting line up, with forwards McNamee and Paynter being replaced by Revell and Obadeyi. In the pre-match warm-up though, keeper David Lucas limped off with what looked like a knee injury and was replaced on the team sheet by Phil Smith, with Polish U21 international Jacub Jesionkowski.

The first half started in bright sunshine and it was the U's who were out of the blocks by far the quickest. Indeed, it was in the first minute that the visitors troubled the Robins, with Platt just failing to find the target from a great cross from Ashley Vincent.

As the U's continued to press forward, good headers from Kevin Lisbie and Clive Platt put Simon Hackney in a good position.

A first time shot was on the cards but Hackney tried to beat the last defender with a deft lob but the ball went through to the keeper before the U's wideman could reach it.

Swindon tried to get back into the match, making the most of their extra man in midfield but Vincent had a shot saved as the U's carried the game to the hosts.

And it was Vincent who opened the scoring on twenty one minutes, but there was a cost to the U's.

Once again, consecutive headers from Platt and Lisbie put their teammate in on goal, this time Vincent's under pressure shot beat Smith and nestled in the back of the net.

Celebrations were short lived though, with the U's scorer stretchered off with an ankle injury.

Jamie Guy, who has just recovered from knee surgery, came on for Vincent on the right of midfield.

This seemed to wake the home side and Obadeyi shot high over the bar after turning well just inside the box.

Ben Williams then kept the U's ahead with a fantastic reaction save, with McGovern's shot looking goalbound.

With the clock saying forty four minutes had elapsed, the U's gained a corner after Smith saved well from Jamie Guy's angled shot.

From the resultant corner, the home side broke and equalised, much to the disappointment of the travelling fans, who were looking forward to a half time lead.

As the corner was cleared, Swindon found themselves two against two and the ball into Obadeyi found him with just Williams to beat. A touch to control and then Obadeyi lashed his shot past the U's keeper to level the scores.

John-Joe O'Toole had a shot in injury time but it was saved at the second attempt and the referee blew for half time seconds later.

It was a quieter start to the second half but it burst into life after fifty three minutes, with both sides having a chance to go ahead.

First, Alex Revell launched a long range shot goalwards and after flying over Ben Williams, it crashed back off the crossbar and into the hands of the grateful U's keeper.

His kick upfield was gathered by Wordsworth and a quick ball forward found Kevin Lisbie bearing down on the Swindon goal.

Unfortunately for the U's, Smith was quickly off his line and blocked Lisbie's effort, with the ball rebounding off the U's striker for a goal kick.

Ten minutes later, a fantastic sliding tackle by Matt Heath prevented Alex Revell scoring after the former Southend forward had got in a good position behind the U's back four.

Anthony Wordsworth shot well wide in the sixty fifth minute, before Ferry's weak left foot curler drifted wide after a good move from the home side.

The Robins were having the better of the second half possession and were getting forward more regularly than their visitors, without really creating clear cut chances.

Good blocks from John White and Anthony Wordsworth prevented Swindon shots reaching Ben Williams in the U's goal, with chances at the other end becoming more and more infrequent.

The U's did have one final chance though, but Simon Hackney's volley looped over the crossbar after John-Joe O'Toole and Clive Platt had worked hard to create the late opening.

It was the second draw in Aidy Boothroyd's reign as boss and the point saw the U's move up to sixth in the League One table. U's: Williams, White, Okuonghae, Heath, Tierney, Vincent (Guy (Fox)), O'Toole, Wordsworth, Hackney, Platt, Lisbie (Vernon) Subs: Cousins, Lockwood, Ifil,Gillespie
    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports