Match Report


Sat 03 Oct 09

The U's made it six points out of six against their fellow promotion hopefuls this week, as they saw off a determined Huddersfield with a late Kayode Odejayi goal.

Not helped by some inclement weather conditions, the U's battled hard to work openings against the Terriers and eventually found a path to goal ten minutes from time.

It makes it a very satisfying maximum haul against two tough teams, extending the unbeaten run under Aidy Boothroyd to six games and consolidating the U's position in the top six.

No team in League One has picked up more points at home and the result puts the U's five points inside the play-off spots. With Charlton and Leeds drawing, the U's are just three points off the top two.

The U's carried on where they left off from Tuesday night, with Platt knocking down to Odejayi on three minutes, with the midweek goalscorer pulling his shot wide of the target.

The Terriers then thought that they had a great chance going forwards, but Robinson was flagged offside to Simpson's clever header down into his path - Williams saving his shot anyway.

Both sides were having to come to terms with the conditions as the wind swirled around the Weston Homes Community Stadium, but it was the U's who were getting the sights of goal.

There were 15 minutes on the clock when the ball was held up well by Platt, dropping it into the path of O'Toole, who dragged his shot well off target when centrally placed.

It was his fellow midfielder Wordsworth who came closest next up as his corner from the east side of the pitch curled just past the far post.

That was followed by Lisbie working some magic inside the box and when Platt laid it back to the awaiting Tierney, he curled a shot with the outside of his left foot over the crossbar.

The ball was popping about under the blustery conditions and the U's had one chance on 27 minutes as Wordsworth twice tried to get the ball to settle, before Izzet fired over.

So, with that in mind, Lisbie showed his class by wriggling past his man down the right and lofting an effort past the keeper, but also just past the far post.

The U's kept prompting and probing and from a Wordsworth free kick on the right, Platt glanced a header that went just wide.

Huddersfield were happy to protect what they had and were happy to take their time both with set pieces and on the ball.

Eight minutes before the break and Platt forewent a great chance in the box as, with Odejayi and Lisbie working a good opportunity, he couldn't quite work his feet to get a shot away.

He then swung and missed from a Lisbie cut back to the edge of the box and although the ball ran to O'Toole, he lifted his shot his shot over the crossbar.

Platt did better four minutes before the break, laying the ball back to Odejayi out on the right. His low cross looked like it might find Wordsworth in the box, but Smithies took the ball off his toes at the near post.

A rare chance for the visitors just before half time saw the ball knocked into the path of Simpson by Peltier, but Tierney was in the right place at the right time to block the former Cambridge man's shot.

The half finished scoreless, but Skarz was the first to go close at the start of the second half, as he drilled a shot across goal which appeared to clip Batth's foot as it went behind - but the officials gave a goal kick.

That was followed by a drilled shot from Goodwin that Tierney blocked well, as the visitors started the half the brighter.

At the other end, Izzet demanded the ball off Lisbie before driving towards goal and laying in a clever pass for Odejayi. The striker tested Smithies with his shot, but the flag had gone up for offside.

Batth became the first player in the book for tugging back Rhodes, but the U's broke away from some Huddersfield pressure to twice set up Lisbie, whose shots were well blocked.

Drinkwater joined Batth in getting a yellow card shortly afterwards, before the U's defender surged forty yards forwards on the ball before sending over a dangerous low cross that was well defended.

The visitors made their first change on the 65 minute mark, replacing Robinson with Novak in their forward line, before Skarz went into the book for a foul on Odejayi. The U's tried a clever free kick, and it ended with White's cross just eluding the powerful striker.

At the other end, Novak wriggled his way clear to get in on goal and, as he twisted and turned, he sent over a great cross that O'Toole did superbly well to defend as Kay arrived at the far post.

Gillespie was introduced for Platt with eighteen minutes remaining and almost got a shot on target, as he lashed a shot over the bar from distance.

The visitors were reduced to ten men for the final twelve minutes as Clark went off for an elbow on White - boss Clark made an instant change introducing Butler for Drinkwater to keep a full complement at the back.

The U's then took the lead with ten minutes remaining. Lisbie did well to wrestle his way past Skarz and headed for the byline. He struck in a low cross and Odejayi was in the right place at the right time to tuck home from close range.

That changed the U's substitution strategy - Hackney had been waiting to come on for the home side, but instead it was Ifil who was the man to come on, replacing Lisbie who went off to a standing ovation.

Odejayi then nearly turned provider with six minutes to go. He tore away down the right from a Gillespie through ball and his low cross was intercepted just at the right time with Gilly waiting.

Peltier then had Williams scrambling to tip the ball over the bar as his cross went from deep to going under the crossbar as the wind caught it.

Ninety seconds before the end and the U's nearly sealed the deal as Wordsworth strode onto a loose ball and drilled in a fierce effort that went just past the upright with the keeper beaten.

The U's weren't home and hosed though and a rare mistake from Okuonghae let Simpson in. From close range, the striker looked like he might loft it over Williams, but the keeper did really well to block.

Four minutes additional time were signalled and Gillespie then had a series of good chances to see the game home as Ifil put him in, but his first time effort fizzed over the bar. He then struck the outside of the side netting from the other side of the box, before feeding a daisy cutter into the arms of Smithies.

But one goal was enough to seal another useful victory.

U's: Williams, White, Okuonghae, Batth, Tierney, Wordsworth, Izzet, O'Toole, Lisbie (Ifil), Platt (Gillespie), Odejayi

Subs: Cousins, Heath, Hackney, Elito
    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports