Match Report


Tue 10 Aug 10

U's On The Move: This story also appeared on our Mobile Internet Site. Get your news on the move! Click HERE for more details.

The U's made it into the Second Round of the Carling Cup with a comfortable 3-0 win against Hereford, with two goals from David Mooney and a second half curler from Ian Henderson.

The U's scored twice in the first half, both from David Mooney on his first start in U's colours.

First, he volleyed home a Tierney cross and then firmly side footed home into the bottom corner to double the lead.

Henderson made the game safe just after the hour mark,curling his right foot shot past Bartlett in the home goal.

However, there were injury worries in the game as goalscorer Mooney and midfielder Bond left the pitch prematurely.

Mooney came into the side to replace Kayode Odejayi upfront.

After coming on as a second half substitute in the league clash at Exeter on Saturday, the U's new loanee from Reading started alongside Ian Henderson and Anthony Wordsworth against League Two side Hereford United.

Odejayi dropped down to the bench and was joined by the same six players who made up the substitutes against the Grecians at the weekend.

The game kicked off with the bright sun setting behind the Cargill Community Stand at Edgar Street and the pitch looked in immaculate condition, helped by a pre-match soaking from the comprehensive looking irrigation system.

And it took the U's less than a minute to have a shot at goal, Henderson testing the keeper with his shot from the edge of the box.

Hereford were not going to be overawed in the early stages though and after a scare that led to nothing on six minutes, Monset headed just over the bar from a free kick on the left.

Andy Bond was looking as industrious against Hereford as he was at the weekend and he was next to get a sight of goal, hitting his left foot effort just wide of the target.

Mark Cousins saw his first real action halfway through the half when he was down sharply at the near post to save an angled drive from Stuart Fleetwood.

And on the half hour, the U's keeper repeated the trick, this time saving from Monset.

The Hereford forward should then have done better when a ball dropped to him ten yards out but a disappointing touch meant the chance went begging.

With five minutes of the half remaining, the U's took the lead through loanee David Mooney, scoring on his first start for his new club.

Good interplay between Bond and Perkins led to Bond playing the ball wide to the U's left back Marc Tierney.

Tierney's far post cross evaded the jump of Valentine and Mooney calmly struck a side foot volley back across the keeper and into the far corner.

And Mooney doubled the lead four minutes later, with another smart finish foolowing more good football from the confident U's.

Bond, Tierney and Izzet were involved before Henderson was found inside the area, in turn pulling the ball back to Mooney to side foot a low shot into the bottom corner.

The U's were enjoying the end of the half and Perkins had a shot saved just before the referee blew the half time whistle.

Starting the second half in the same vein, the U's just couldn't create many clear cut chances in the early stages of the half.

In the 51st minute, a cross came into the far post and Andy Bond's header fell safely into Bartlett's hands, with two U's players waiting for a head across goal.

That was Bond's last action, having to limp off five minutes later with an ankle injury, to be replaced by Lloyd James, who was making his debut for the U's.

With 64 minutes on the clock, Ian Henderson made the game safe, scoring the U's third after more good play from Mooney.

The U's loanee read a pass across the Hereford defence and strode forward with the ball before rolling it to his right into the path of Henderson.

There was still plenty of work to be done though and given a yard of space, the former Norwich trainee curled a sublime curler into the top corner.

Mooney followed Bond down the tunnel and it was also an ankle injury that ended his night, with Odejayi coming on for the remaining nineteen minutes.

The powerful striker was straight into the action, having a cross blocked and a header saved.

Some late Hereford pressure saw a shot saved by Cousins and two wayward efforts but it was a comfortable second half for the U's defence.

The whistle went after four minutes of stoppage time and the U's set off on the long journey home, with a deserved cup victory and a place in round two of the Carling Cup.

U's: Cousins, Wilson, Reid, Okuonghae, Tierney, Bond (James 56), Izzet, Perkins, Mooney (Odejayi 71), Henderson, Wordsworth (Vincent 85)

Subs: Pentney, White, Baldwin, Beevers
    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports