Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

10 March 2018 Venue One Call Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Szmodics Back In The Squad

Top scorer returns after back injury

9 March 2018

Colchester United will have Sammie Szmodics back in the squad for Saturday's trip to Mansfield Town.

Sammie had had issues with a back injury in recent weeks, but is now fit again and ready to travel to the One Call Stadium to face the Stags.

Sammie is joined in the squad by Kurtis Guthrie after the front man overcame his recent ankle injury to be ready for this weekend's game.

Mansfield currently sit fifth in League Two, a point off the automatic promotion spots and the game will be the first in charge for new boss David Flitcroft.

Speaking to the press ahead of Saturday's game, Head Coach John McGreal said: “There’s no better feeling come 5pm on Saturday than having those three points.

“It’s about getting that unity back again and it’s amazing what a win can do, so that’s what we’ll be trying to do.

“We’ll be trying to keep our season going. We’ve got two months left of the season and it’s now about trying to keep it alive.

“We know we haven’t done particularly well of late and that we’ve let ourselves down in the last couple of games but it’s now a case of seeing what we’ve got, as we’ve got all the teams to play around us."

Advertisement block

Match Reports

U's Held At Mansfield

Comley strike earns away point

10 March 2018

Colchester United have drawn 1-1 against Mansfield Town, as they came from behind to earn a good draw against the high-flying Stags.

It was the hosts Mansfield Town that took the lead, with Kane Hemmings lifting his effort over Sam Walker after twenty one minutes.

Early in the second half, Brandon Comley got a U's equaliser, hitting an angled drive that beat Conrad Logan on its way into the bottom corner.

The U's had the better of the rest of the half, but couldn't force a winner that would have given them the three points.

From the off, it looked an open game and it was the visitors that had the first effort.

Brennan Dickenson got free on the angle of the box, but couldn’t keep his shot down and the ball sailed into the home supporters behind the goal.

Brandon Comley then followed suit, this time from well outside the area, as the U’s were more than matching their opponents in the early stages.

On twenty minutes, the U’s got a better chance, as Drey Wright got in behind the defence from a Kurtis Guthrie through ball.

Unfortunately, he caught the ball with the outside of his boot and like the two previous U’s efforts, Conrad Logan in the home goal was untroubled.

A minute later, it was the hosts that had a chance – a chance that was clinically finished.

No U’s player took charge as a central ball bounced into the box and as Sam Walker advanced off his line, Kane Hemmings nipped between him and Tom Eastman to lift the shot into the empty net.

The goal certainly gave the hosts a boost, an Walker was sharp down at his near post to deny Danny Rose two minutes later.

There was a break in play while Tom Lapslie received treatment for a knock to the head, but he was able to continue.

The knock came from the arm of Alex MacDonald, and it was the Mansfield midfielder who had the next effort, hitting a long range free-kick over the bar.

The U’s came back into the game towards half time though, and there were two openings that both tested Logan in the home goal.

Wright struck a strong half volley goalwards on forty one minutes, that Logan palmed away, and then Guthrie was denied as Logan closed him down before a defender cleared a few yards from his own goalline.

That was the last action of the half, with the U’s needing a positive second half to get back into the match and to close the gap to the Play-Offs.

The U’s started the first half on the front foot, but the start to the second period was even better from John McGreal’s side.

Tom Lapslie showed great skill to get free on the right but his low cross was blocked at the near post.

The U’s regained possession from that clearance and Brandon Comley burst past his man and into the box, before drilling his angled shot low past Logan into the bottom corner.

Following the goal, the U’s took the game to the hosts, but couldn’t get themselves another goal in that dominant period.

They then had Kane Vincent-Young to thank for keeping the game level, when he headed the ball onto the bar when it was heading into the top corner from a Digby header.

Olamide Shodipo, Sean Murray and Ben Stevenson were introduced as the U’s searched for a late winner, but the hosts were also after a decider in what was a decent game for the neutral observer.

Walker made a double save from Benning and then Melis before Guthrie was denied a far post header by a last ditch touch by a home defender.

A win was the target for the U’s, but a draw against one of the favourites for promotion was a positive point and performance going into the final ten games of the campaign.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block