Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

18 August 2018 Venue One Call Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Boss Hoping For Players' Return

U's head to Mansfield on Saturday

17 August 2018

Colchester United head to Mansfield Town on Saturday, looking to extend their unbeaten start to the league season.

Two impressive performances have left them in a good position in the nascent League Two table and they will now come up against a Mansfield side that have also picked up four points in their games so far.

The U's will be hoping to welcome back Kane Vincent-Young and Ethan Ross into the squad for the trip to the One Call Stadium after both missed the midweek trip to Cheltenham.

Otherwise, John's men are in good shape for their second away game of the season and they will be eager to extend a run where they are yet to concede in League Two this season.

Kick-off is at 3.00pm and ticket prices are as follows:-

Concessions (Over 65s): £18
Young Adult (18-21): £16
Junior (7-17): £12
U7s (6 and under): Free
Disabled: Age Band priced (Carer Free)

Advertisement block

Match Reports

U's Grab Late, Late Leveller

Szmodics earns point at Mansfield

18 August 2018

Colchester United have drawn 1-1 at Mansfield Town to maintain their unbeaten start to the league season - thanks to some late drama on Saturday.

In the first half, there were no goals, but the U's had the best chance when Luke Prosser's far post header was well saved by home keeper Conrad Logan.

Mansfield went ahead on eighty minutes, when sub Craig Davies smashed home a half volley.

Four minutes of injury time were indicated, but it was after those four minutes were completed when Szmodics scored from close range after a mistake from Conrad Logan.

John McGreal reverted to the starting eleven that started the League Two game at home to Port Vale seven days ago, with Prosser, Vincent-Young, Lapslie, Szmodics and Nouble returning.

The start of the game saw both sides having possession in the middle third of the pitch, and neither keeper was tested in the early stages.

CJ Hamilton cut inside on six minutes, but hit his left foot shot narrowly over the angle of bar and post to Dillon Barnes’ goal.

On ten minutes, a corner from the U’s right was put into the danger area, but Frankie Kent’s slight touch took it away from Sweeney at the far post.

As the hosts continued to have the better of possession, they won a free kick twenty yards out – Harry Pell stood brave in the wall and took the ball in the face to prevent it testing Barnes.

The U’s had the best chance of the half on nineteen minutes, when Luke Prosser’s far post header was well saved by Conrad Logan in the home goal.

Throughout the remainder of the half, both sides looked to play through the midfield areas, but neither could cause their opponents problems in the attacking penalty area.

The U’s started the second half on the front foot and it was Tom Lapslie who had the first effort, having a shot blocked on the edge of the box.

On the hour mark, the home side won a couple of corners, and that was the start of some pressure on the U’s defence.

The defence stood strong though, and remained resolute throughout the second period.

The hosts scored out of nowhere on eighty one minutes, and it was a stunning strike from sub Craig Davies that beat Barnes in the U’s goal.

On Tuesday night, the U’s came back from two goals behind and drew after ninety minutes, and they were to get a draw in this one as well.

The four minutes of injury time were already completed when Ryan Jackson launched a long throw into the Mansfield box.

Logan came for it, but let it slip through his hands and Szmodics was on hand to put it in from a yard out.

Mansfield only had time to touch the ball twice on the restart before the ref blew the final whistle and the U’s left with a valuable point.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block