Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

02 March 2019 Venue The County Ground Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

U's Aim To Extend Unbeaten Run

McGreal's men head west

1 March 2019

Colchester United head to Swindon Town on Saturday, aiming to build on an unbeaten February and to push further up the League Two table.

The U's won two and drew two of their games in February to continue their push for promotion and will now look to extend that run when they take on the Robins.

The home side are currently twelfth in League Two but have a vital game in hand and will be aiming to close the gap on the U's with victory on Saturday.

The County Ground has been a happy hunting ground in recent seasons for the U's, with three wins and two draws on their last five visits.

Town have been in good form under boss Richie Wellens, however, and it promises to be a tough test for John McGreal's men.

The home side will be without Michael Doughty, Matt Taylor, Luke Woolfenden, Lawrence Vigouroux, Danny Rose and Ben House, whilst the U's will wait on recent absentees Tom Lapslie and Harry Pell, although the game will come too soon for Brandon Comley with his knee injury.

Can't Make It?
Our iFollow Col U service will be there with full match commentary or, if you're outside the UK and Ireland, you can watch the full match for just £5!

Advertisement block

Match Reports

U's Defeated At Swindon

Quick Fire double costs U's in 3-0 loss

2 March 2019

Colchester United have lost 3-0 at Swindon Town.

After having the better of things for thirty five minutes, the U's conceded twice in two minutes towards the end of the first half, with Canice Carroll and Luke Woolfenden getting the goals.

Despite changes in formation and personnel, getting back in the game in the second half proved impossible, and Kyle Bennett added to the woes with a third for the hosts.

In the early stages of the game, it was easy to see why the two teams were in decent form, with confidence on the ball evident.

Jak McCourt tried to catch Rene Gilmartin off his line, but his shot wasn’t high enough and the U’s keeper took it above his head.

That came on five minutes, and seconds later the U’s had a chance of their own.

Frank Nouble and Mandron combined to put Brennan Dickenson in on the left, but his left foot effort flew narrowly wide of the far post.

James Dunne for the hosts was next to try his luck, but he was stretching as he met a far post cross, and the header went over the crossbar.

On eleven minutes, the U’s almost opened the scoring but Lawrence Vigouroux clawed away Mikael Mandron’s effort from a left wing corner.

The game had started at a hectic pace, but during the middle part of the first half the play became disjointed from both sides, and there wasn’t too much in the way of goalmouth action.

That changed massively as the clock ticked over to thirty nine minutes, as the hosts scored twice in the space of two minutes.

First, Carroll controlled turned and struck his shot into the top corner after a cross had caused problems in the U’s box following Gilmartin’s kick going straight to Theo Robinson.

The quick fire second goal came when Dunne spotted a great run from right back Woolfendon and he looped his effort back across Gilmartin and into the same corner as the first.

Looking for a way back into the game early in the second half, the U’s found it hard to break down a home side with their tails up.

Dickenson had an angled shot high and wide, before being replaced by Luke Norris on fifty four minutes.

Tom Eastman also came on, replacing Diaz Wright, and the U’s went to a three at the back.

It was the hosts that had the next chance, and Gilmartin dived full length to his right to push away a McCourt free kick.

That came on the hour, and five minutes later, Swindon scored the all important third goal of the game to give themselves an even bigger cushion.

Mandron lost possession in midfield and Bennett stepped forward to hit a long range effort that Gilmartin could only help into the net.

The U’s did push forward  in the last quarter of the game but Mandron could only head straight at Vigouroux, and  Norris shot wide of the target.

The U’s sub did look sharp but his next effort was blocked and tehn Courtney Senior’s free kick flew over in the final minutes.

It was a disappointing result for the U’s, but credit must go to the hosts for punishing the mistakes that led to the goals.

Results elsewhere saw the U’s drop to eighth place in the table, but they have now got two home games to bounce back into the Play-Off places in the next ten days.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block