Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

23 October 2018 Venue Blundell Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

U's Head North Again

Grimsby next after Morecambe win

23 October 2018

Colchester United are back on the road on Tuesday night, as they take on Grimsby Town at Blundell Park.

The hosts have improved in recent weeks, having clocked up three consecutive clean sheets to pick up seven points in their last three games.

However, the U's have won their last three in all competitions to consolidate their place in the play-off spots and have an eye on the positions above them ahead of the weekend game against Lincoln.

They missed second top scorer Sammie Szmodics at the weekend after he took a blow to the ankle in training and his availability or otherwise is the only likely change to the squad for the midweek match against the Mariners.

Ticket sales will be available on the night at matchday prices:-

Adults: £21
Young Adult (15-18): £14
Senior Citizens (65+): £14
Students (with valid NUS Card): £14
Juniors Accompanied (14 and under): £5
Juniors Unaccompanied (12-14): £7
Ambulant Disabled with free carer: Price of relevant age category (with proof of high or Enhanced Living Allowance)
Wheelchair and carer: Price of relevant age category

We look forward to seeing plenty of U's fans at the game!

Advertisement block

Match Reports

U's Narrowly Beaten At Grimsby

Single goal enough for hosts at Blundell Park

23 October 2018

Colchester United have lost 1-0 at Grimsby Town in their latest away game.

The first half saw both sides have clear cut chances, with Luke Norris denied by James McKeown and Rene Gilmartin's point blank save preventing the hosts scoring.

The only goal of the game came just after the hour mark, when Wes Thomas scored from the angle into the far corner of the U's net.

The game started with both sides looking to get forward and cause problems, and both had efforts at goal within the first couple of minutes.

First, Ryan Jackson’s cross found Kane Vincent-Young on the left, he rolled it to Harry Pell but the shot from the U’s midfielder went wide of the target.

At the other end seconds later, a mishit shot was met at the far post by Charles Vernam but a point blank save from Rene Gilmartin kept the scores level.

The best chance of the first half fell to Luke Norris, but James McKeown made a great save as the U’s top scorer hit the shot too close to him.

Frank Nouble had made that chance for Norris by nicking the ball from a home defender, and he himself then headed just over from a right wing cross.

Elliot Embleton was looking dangerous for the hosts, and he caused problems for the U’s defence twice in quick succession on the thirty seventh minute.

His low cross was cleared by Vincent-Young with Wes Thomas loitering, and then his shot was smothered by Frankie Kent and Tom Eastman before rolling into the grateful arms of Gilmartin.

The U’s finished the half the stronger though, with a Norris free-kick finding the midriff of McKeown and Pell drilling a shot just wide from twenty yards out.

The start of the second period was much more cagey from both sides, and it wasn’t until just before the hour mark that a clear cut chance came along.

And it was a great chance for the U’s to open the scoring, but Courtney Senior’s header at the far post crashed back off the face of the crossbar after good work from Vincent-Young on the left.

It proved expensive for the U’s, with Grimsby opening the scoring on sixty four minutes.

Ryan Jackson gave away possession and Grimsby quickly got the ball forward to Thomas, who cut inside and drilled a shot into the far corner of the net.

Mikael Mandron and Brennan Dickenson were introduced, and the U’s spent the remainder of the game camped in the Grimsby half.

Senior had another header on seventy two minutes, but guided it just the wrong side of the post with McKeown scrambling across his line.

Frankie Kent went to ground to reach the ball for a shot, but that also went wide as the U’s continued to push for a late equaliser.

The final chance for that leveller came on eight six minutes, but Pell was twice denied by blocks before Dickenson drilled his angled shot over the crossbar.

The final whistle went after five minutes of injury time, and the U’s had been thwarted by a defensive display as good as the U’s second half at Morecambe at the weekend.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block