Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

20 August 2019 Venue Blundell Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Late Leveller Denies U's

Grimsby score late to earn 2-2 draw

20 August 2019

Colchester United have drawn 2-2 at Grimsby Town

Both U's goals came in the first half, with Frank Nouble and Luke Norris giving them a 2-0 half time lead.

Seconds into the second period, James Hanson scored from the spot after Ryan Jackson was adjudged to have fouled Moses Ogbu.

And the hosts got a late leveller when Matt Green hit the top corner on eighty eight minutes.

The game started with the hosts having the better of possession, but the closest they came in the first ten minutes was a blocked shot that rolled slowly into Dean Gerken’s hands on seven minutes.

They had a better chance eight minutes later, but Luke Waterfall’s far post header hit the outside of the side netting.

Another long ball into the U’s box was matched by the run of Elliott Hewitt, but the former U’s loanee could only head weakly into the hands of Gerken.

The U’s got a grip on the game as the first half wore on, and they almost got ahead when Norris’ shot was blocked by a defender and then fellow forward Nouble.

That came on nineteen minutes, and five later the U’s took the lead.

Norris blocked a clearance, it fell to Courtney Senior and he fed Nouble on the angle of the penalty area.

There was still plenty to do, but Nouble moved the ball onto his left foot, and drilled his angled effort into the top corner to make it 1-0.

Norris was denied by a diving save by the right hand of James McKeown, but the home keeper could do nothing about Norris scoring in injury time at the end of the first period.

Jevani Brown found Nouble on the left and a delightful ball into the far post was met by the head of Norris to double the U’s lead.

Michael Jully sent his players out five minutes early for the second period, and the move worked as they had halved the lead within ninety seconds of the restart.

Ryan Jackson was turned by Ogbu, and in trying to get back and challenge the home forward, bundled into him and the ball was cleared.

There was no initial whistle, but a few seconds later, the referee pointed to the spot and Hanson scored to make it 2-1.

The direct hosts continued to pump balls into the U’s box, but particularly Tom Eastman and Luke Prosser had their work cut out dealing with the experienced Hanson.

Clear cut chances were at a premium though, with the U’s winning the second ball when the first ball into the box was headed into dangerous areas.

Luke Gambin was introduced for the tiring Courtney Senior, and then Omar Sowunmi came on for Luke Norris to try and help repel the aerial threat of the hosts.

It did look like the U’s would hold out for the first league win of the season, but a stunning goal in the eighty ninth minute gave the hosts a point

A free kick was once again pumped forward, but Sowunmi won the battel and headed out to the edge of the box.

Green was on to it first though, and hit his effort true into the top corner, giving Gerken no chance.

That was the final chance of the game, and the U’s were desperately disappointed to be denied an away win by the late strike.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block