Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 20:00 (UK)

18 December 2019 Venue Old Trafford Attendance

Kick off 20:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English League Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Brave U's Bow Out

Carabao Cup run ends at Old Trafford

18 December 2019

Colchester United have lost 3-0 against Manchester United in the Quarter-Final of the Carabao Cup

Three goals in the space of just ten minutes from Rashford, Martial and an own goal from Ryan Jackson gave the home side the win, sending Manchester United into the semi finals. 

Colchester had to hold off an early barrage of chances from the home side as Manchester United tried to sprint into an early lead. 

England forward Marcus Rashford was by far the most dangerous player in red with most of the goo chances falling to him throughout the night. 

In the fourth minute he won and took a free kick that just sailed wide of Dean Gerken’s post as the U’s ‘keeper remained rooted to the spot. Just three minutes later, Rashford was lining up another free kick, this time needing Gerken behind it to prevent a goal. 

The entire U’s defence was standing firm, with Prosser clearing brilliantly from a Rashford run just as the Manchester United man looked to strike at goal. Bramall was keeping tabs on the in form Greenwood, making an important challenge as the wide man broke into the U’s penalty area. 

Gerken was called into action again in the eighteenth minute as Rashford got the better of Jackson down the right hand side, before pulling in a cross that was deflected. The ever alert Dean Gerken was on hand to parry the ball away and out of danger. 

The U’s weren’t without opportunities going forwards, with Jackson and Norris combining on the right flank. The U’s no. 9 couldn’t quite find a way past Luke Shaw in the home defence, but was a sign that Colchester were not just here to defend. 

In the thirty first minute Rashford blew a great chance to put his side ahead. Pereira dinked the ball over the U’s defence who seemed to stop in anticipation of the flag being raised, but it wasn’t. Rashford couldn’t control the ball and it rolled out for a goal kick. 

Eastman put in a great block five minutes later as he spotted a Rashford run, and slid in well to prevent a one on one situation. 

Callum Harriott went closest for the U’s in the first half as a well worked corner found the winger on the edge of the area. He shot just wide of Romero’s post with the home ‘keeper worried. 

The sides went in at the break level, with Manchester United dominating the possession and the chances, but failing to put anything in the back of the net. The U’s had defended valiantly and deservedly went in at 0-0.

Manchester United came out in the second half seemingly fired up by the frustration that the U’s had caused in the first half. Greenwood went close five minutes into the second half, just before Marcus Rashford did give the home side the lead. 

After Ryan Jackson had shot straight into the arms of Sergio Romero in the home goal, the ball was distributed to Rashford on the right wing. He cut inside to beat Eastman and Prosser before finding the top corner in front of the Stretford End. 

Cohen Bramall went close to equalising for the U’s with a drive from 20 yards out that had the GK worried, but only before Manchester United doubled their lead. 

Mason Greenwood was making good progress down the right wing, and he hit a devilish cross towards Rashford at the back post. Jackson was covering and couldn’t get out of the way, and diverted into the net. 

Martial put the home side into an unassailable lead five minutes later, after tapping in at the back post from a Rashford cross. With the score at 3-0, Manchester United seemed to ease off slightly, in the knowledge that Colchester United had a big mountain to climb. 

The U’s defence were still working for their lives, with Eastman and Prosser blocking well before Gerken made a good save from Greenwood. 

Luke Norris made his own chance by beating Williams with ease, but his swerving shot was straight down the throat of Romero, who made a simple save. 

There was enough time for Dean Gerken to pull of another brilliant save, deflecting a Harry Maguire header over the bar with six minutes to go as the Manchester United defender aimed for a fourth for his team. 

The game finished with Manchester United running out as 3-0 winners and progressing to the semi finals, where they have been drawn in an all Manchester affair, against City. 

Colchester United will look to put the defeat behind them, as they will now focus on the league, and a home affair with Carlisle United to come at the JobServe Community Stadium on Saturday.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block