Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

14 December 2019 Venue Sands Venue Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

U's Gain Comeback Point

Norris and Prosser earn away draw

14 December 2019

Colchester United have drawn 2-2 at Scunthorpe

Former U's loanee Abo Eisa scored in the first half for the hosts, after his side had squandered a number of decent chances.

The home side doubled their lead just after the break, but the U's didn't let their heads drop.

Two goals from the two Lukes, Norris and Prosser got things level with plenty of time for a winner from either side.

It didn't come, and the game finished 2-2 after two minutes of injury time.

The U's started the game very well, straight on the attack in the opening five minutes with Poku having a shot blocked.

Senior then whipped in a dangerous cross with Jordan Clarke clearing nervously from inside the six yard box with Nouble pressuring him from behind. 

Kevin Van Veen missed a great chance for Scunthorpe to take the lead after controlling a cross from Ntlhe. Cushioning the ball well, and only Gerken to beat, he wastefully fired wide, a big let off for the U’s. 

From then, Scunthorpe were on top. Former Colchester winger Abo Eisa spurned another good chance for the home side, as he shot straight at the legs of Dean Gerken in goal. 

Perch was next to go close. His header from a Jordan Clarke header looked destined to nestle in the back of the net, but good pressure from Harry Pell stopped that. He nodded safely over the bar and into the grateful U’s fans behind the goal. 

Alex Gillead went closer for Scunthorpe after a weaving run down the right wing.

He got the better of Bramall, cut in and curled his shot just beyond the post.

Gillead, was dangerous, and as the first half was coming to a close, the U’s defenders didn’t know how to deal with him. 

But it was the winger on the other side and former U’s man, Abo Eisa who struck first to give Scunthorpe the lead. He cut in from the left wing and drove a fierce shot beyond Gerken and into the bottom corner. It was a well placed shot, and deservedly gave the home side the lead going into the break. 

Luke Prosser had a chance to get the U’s back on level terms as the game headed into injury time.

A cross bounced to the unmarked defender, but he could only shoot over the bar, as the half time whistle blew. 

Scunthorpe looked to have dealt a damning blow to the U’s just two minutes into the second half. The dangerous Gillead beat Bramall and found Kevin Van Veen unmarked in the centre of the six yard box. The home number ten stooped low to double the lead for his team.

This goal could have crushed the U’s players, but it was a rallying call.

They started to make some chances, knocking on the door of Eastwood in the home goal. 

Luke Norris gave Colchester hope in the fifty eighth minute, as he volleyed past Eastwood to half the deficit.

Bramall chipped up a cross, that was nodded on by Pell to Norris who made a brilliant run.

The U’s top scorer found himself unmarked and chested the ball before neatly volleying past the onrushing keeper to give the visitors hope. 

And it didn’t take long for the fightback to be complete, with captain Prosser netting right in front of the travelling fans.

Pell nodded back a Jackson cross to his skipper who smashed the ball home and ran towards the away fans to celebrate. 

Luke Norris then went close to giving the U's the lead.

He pressed McArdle in defence and volleyed again, but the ball trickled just wide of the post.

It would’ve been a deserved lead as the U’s had been playing some brilliant football ever since Kevin Van Veen netted the second for Scunthorpe. 

Poku was looking like a handful every time he took the ball forwards. Dancing between two home defenders he fired a cross towards Pell, but it was too quick.

The hero from last week couldn’t control the ball and scuffed his shot straight against the home defenders. 

Prosser had a half chance to win all three points for the U's, with a header from just inside the box.

Again, a cross from Bramall found the U’s skipper, who was being challenged all the way, but could only nod wide with two minutes left on the clock. 

The full time whistle blew with the U's taking a brilliant point on the road. 

The 2-2 draw means the U’s drop one place in the league to ninth, just outside the Play-Off spots.

Northampton occupy the last space on thirty four points, with Plymouth in eighth on thirty two. 

The focus will now switch from the league, to the Carabao Cup and the exciting tie away at Old Trafford on Wednesday night.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block