Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

17 September 2019 Venue The County Ground Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

U's Stun Highflying Swindon

Eastman and Robinson score to seal U's win

17 September 2019

Colchester United have won 3-0 at Swindon Town

After weathering a first twenty minute storm, the U's opened the scoring bang on forty five minutes through Tom Eastman's header.

And Theo Robinson sealed the points with a second half double, both smart one touch finishes from Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu and Frank Nouble set ups.

The hosts had scored nine goals in their last three matches, and started this game with the intent of adding to that tally quickly.

On eight minutes, Eoin Doyle hit a snapshot from outside the box that whistled inches wide of Dean Gerken’s right hand post.

Seconds later, his volley from a left wing cross was blocked by a defender before it could trouble the U’s keeper.

In a rare early attack, Theo Robinson had a speculative shot blocked on the edge of the box before the play returned to the U’s half.

Next to try his luck was Keshi Anderson, but his shot effort went well over the crossbar from a free kick wide on the left.

The U’s had started to stem the tide and were pushing forward with more intent as the half wore on.

They had their first clear opening just before the half hour mark, as Luke Prosser had a far post header saved after a corner was flicked on at the near post.

Robinson was then inches away from a low Kwame Poku cross and Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu shot over after good play from Frank Nouble.

The fourth official indicated there would be four minutes of injury time, and in the first of those, the U’s took the lead.

Cohen Bramall curled an outswinging corner in from the left, and Eastman looped his header past the helpless Luke McCormick in the home goal.

And it maybe should have been 2- to the U’s before half time – Robinson hitting a shot over the bar after being played in by Senior.

If Robinson should have scored before the break, he certainly made up for it in the second.

There was a scare at the U’s end first though, as both Yates and Doyle should have scored from a low left wing cross on forty seven minutes.

Seven later, and Robinson doubled the U’s lead.

A strong run by Poku resulted in a pass out to Brendan Wiredu on the left and from the low cross, the former Swindon forward sidefooted home via the right arm of McCormick.

Just after the hour, Wiredu was replaced by Tom Lapslie and it wasn’t long before the lead was again extended.

Great defensive work from Brandon Comley saw him regain possession on the edge of his own area before finding Nouble on the right.

Nouble then blitzed past Broadbent and rolled the ball square for Robinson to whip his first time effort into the top corner.

After that, the U’s enjoyed breaking on the hosts who were throwing men forward and it didn’t matter that no further chances were created at either end.

It was a fantastic response from the U’s after Saturday’s disappointment, and puts them in great spirits ahead of the weekend visit by Leyton Orient.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block