Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/08/2012

25 August 2012

The U's battled back to earn themselves a third draw of the season so far, with Clinton Morrison notching in the second half to preserve the unbeaten start to the season.

The home side had to work hard to keep themselves in the game after falling behind in the first half, but that resolve was rewarded with a strong finish to the match.

They dragged themselves back onto the front foot and, after former Sheffield Wednesday man Morrison silenced the visiting support with twenty minutes to go, the U's could almost have won it themselves.

It was the U’s who had the first half sight of goal as Wordsworth fed through Sears through the middle, but his shot from distance was always heading wide of goal.

The Blades should have taken the lead on fourteen minutes though, as Quinn got away down the left away from O’Toole, but Cofie scuffed his shot from just six yards out and it was cleared from danger.

At the other end, Morrison had a good chance of his own as Rose fizzed a cross across goal but he couldn’t get his head to it.

However, the visitors did get their noses in front on 17 minutes. A long range shot from Cofie looped up as it took a deflection on its path to goal and eluded the grasp of Cousins as it flew into the net.

The U’s tried to respond but found the visitors in good form in defence, with Maguire holding them at bay on his own on occasion.

The Blades had a header that was always looping over clip the bar from McAllister, before Cofie really should have doubled the lead.

McAllister weaved his way around the penalty area and, having got to the byline, cut it back to the goalscorer who, from five yards out, stabbed an effort over the bar.

The visitors were having the better of it in the first half, their winding runs proving elusive to the U’s and it was some safe handling from Cousins that ensured that they were still only a goal behind at the break.

The U’s saw their side netting rustled at the start of the second half as McAllister swung a free kick just wide, and the visitors continue to look dangerous going forward.

Quinn was often at the heart of their good work, making a nuisance of himself down the Blades left hand side.

He had a shot blocked by Okuonghae after Hill’s low cross had been blocked by the same U’s player.
A Col U counter attack saw Henderson, Sears and Bond all stream forward and Sears down the left squared a ball that was just behind Henderson as he made it into the area.

The U’s then saw the ball played quickly through the middle of the pitch to reach Morrison on the edge of the box, but his shot on the turn drifted wide of goal.

The former Wednesday man got the goal that silenced the visiting support with twenty minutes to go.

It came from a set piece for the third time in a week. Okuonghae helped the ball on into the danger area and predator Morrison was on hand to finish.

Having received plenty of attention from the visiting fans during the game, the number nine took great pleasure in running the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the Blades supporters.

Morrison then had another shot blocked by the Blades defence as the U’s had their best spell of the game.

The U’s thought they had taken the lead with five minutes remaining. Bond stepped inside on the edge of the box and his effort took a deflection before coming back off the inside of the post.

The U's will be pleased with the character to stick with it after a tough start to the game and could almost have grabbed all three points themselves in a lively finish to the game. 

Cousins pulled off another sensational save deep into the game, tipping the ball onto the bar and over to keep the U’s level. 

Advertisement block