Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Run Chelsea Close

1 December 2012

Only one goal in it in FA Youth Cup tie.

The U’s started the game brightly, pressing the visitors back into their own half. But they found themselves a goal behind after two minutes, as Feruz hit them on the counter attack and slid home a shot that went in off the post.

And although it was not to be, there was plenty of encouragement for the U's and what they are trying to achieve with their youth philosophy.

They actually 'won' the second half 1-0 and almost have grabbed an equaliser as they finished the game strongly.

At 3-1 down at the break, there was plenty to do for the U's U18s, but they were much improved after the interval, as they got onto the front foot and pressed the Premier League side higher up the pitch.

Colchester United's youngsters did themselves proud on Saturday afternoon, as they ran FA Youth Cup holders Chelsea close with a battling display.

That said, the U’s responded well, Wright scuffing a shot that Beeney helped behind for a corner. The set piece was not fully cleared and Simmons scooped the ball home from close range to draw it level.

But, in a goal laden start to the game, Chelsea got their noses back in front after just six minutes as Baker stood up his defender and slotted home past Cable into the bottom corner.

After that explosive start, the game settled down a bit, although the U’s were still a touch tentative in those early stages as the Blues stroked it around nicely on a heavy pitch.

The visitors did get the chance to extend their advantage after 26 minutes, though, as Roast lost the ball to the dangerous Feruz and, as he tried to get back to him in the box, he felled the Chelsea man.

Baker was the man with the responsibility to take the spot kick and, although Cable went the right way, it found its way into the bottom corner.

The U’s were seeing more of the ball as the half came to a close, but a Gilbey shot from distance was as close as they came to further testing Beeney in the Chelsea goal.

However, Chelsea came close to a killer fourth just before half time as Feruz ran into the box and set up Mitchell, who opened his body out to sidefoot one against the base of the post.

Two goals adrift at the break, the U’s were better after the interval, but Chelsea almost got the fourth when a shot from close range cannoned down off the bar, before Cable hooked it clear with his hand.

And that proved vital clearance when the U’s got back into the game ten minutes after the restart.

Wright won the ball with a neat tackle, burst forward and set Bonne away on the right. The striker, who had grabbed ten goals in the first two rounds, turned provider this time, sending over a sensational low cross for Szmodics to tuck home at the far post.

Cable did really well to smother from Feruz after the dangerous striker was put in on goal again, but the U’s were so much better than in the first half. 

They nearly got level with a lovely move, Wright setting up O’Donoghue, whose cross was headed straight at Beeney by Bonne.

The U’s made two changes as Clarke and Curtis were introduced for Rogers and Szmodics for the final twenty minutes. 

The second goal had given the U’s confidence, pressing the ball higher as the game wore on, as they had the best spell of the game.

As injury time progressed, they pushed, prompted and probed and had Chelsea looking tense, but the cup holders held on - just to retain their advantage and progress to the next round.

Kent glanced a header wide of goal from a corner, before Nwachuku twisted and turned before forcing Beeney into a good stop low at his near post.

Advertisement block