Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Third Place Finish For U18s

23 July 2012

A win and a defeat in round robin tournament.

In a well contested and exciting game, they had a few scares on the way, but hung on for a well earned, but narrow victory.

After the disappointment of losing to Southend 2-1 the day before in the BCI Worldwide Challenge Cup, Colchester’s excellent start to the third place play off match set them up well to take the match on what was another very sunny day.

Reports from the two games are as follows, starting with that win over the Lions.

The youth team players took on Southend on the Saturday, with the Shrimpers running out 2-1 winners, but they bounced back in style with a 3-2 win over Millwall in a match less than 24 hours later.

There was a third place finish for the Colchester United U18s over the weekend, as they competed in the BCI Worldwide Challenge Cup.
Soon after the ten minute mark, they edged ahead as after a tackle on Sammie Szmodics. The ball ran on for Tom Lapslie, whose intelligent and precise pass slid in Toby Blanche who placed his shot past the Lions’ keeper.

A superb start looked to have settled the game early on as they soon went to 2-0 ahead. This came just after two Millwall chances had been dealt with.

They had a good chance of a third, when the Millwall keeper threw the ball straight out to Lapslie, but his effort from a fair way out, went just wide of the post.

Seconds later they hit the target again as the ball landed at the feet of Macauley Bonne, who was just outside the box when he took his shot. His drive flew in, via a deflection off the inside of the post.
The chance missed looked rather crucial, as the Lions soon reduced the lead as Rylah fired in from distance. Although Miles Palmer had no chance with this, he was handily placed to save the next effort.

Colchester ended the half well as Szmodics was in on goal, but he saw the keeper out at his feet to grab, and then the keeper was there again to push Blanche’s shot into the side netting.

As the U’s kept up the pressure after half time, it was Millwall’s keeper saving well from Jack Simmonds.

The keeper was kept on his toes as Jack Curtis and Blanche then tested him from distance. However it was then the U’s keeper Palmer to the fore, as he then was needed to make several good blocks and saves.

The U's had a chance to further extend their lead after the scorer Szmodics was fouled in the box, but Blanche was denied as his spot kick was saved.

Colchester seemed to have tied the match up as Jack Simmons got clear on the right, to send the ball across and it was Sammie Szmodics who cleverly flicked the ball over the keeper from close range to make it 3-1.
The win saw Colchester grab third place ahead of the final between Southend United and Norwich City, which City won 2-1.

The miss then set up some late dramas as Callaghan powered home Rylah’s cross from close range to make it 3-2 with four minutes remaining, but there were to be no further late scares.

Colchester United: Miles Palmer, Callum Rogers, Michael O’Donoghue, Gus Mafuta, Billy Roast, Matty Brown, Macauley Bonne, Tom Lapslie. Nnamdi Nwachuku, Sammie Szmodics and Toby Blanche.

Substitutes used: Conor Clarke, Jack Curtis and Jack Simmons and not used: Frankie Kent.

After seeing Norwich City beat Millwall 4-1 in the morning match in the four team tournament, at the seaside in Southend, Colchester were not able to repeat their success of last season when they won 5-0 at the same Boots and Laces ground in the League Cup, as they narrowly lost this encounter in the afternoon game.

However there was no disgrace in the defeat as it was two excellent strikes by the home team that sandwich the goal by Sammie Szmodics that ultimately sent them to defeat.

After all the rains of late, the day fortunately was bright and sunny and Southend took the lead after 11 minutes, when home wide player Mitchell Pinnock fired his shot across keeper Miles Palmer.

There were further home chances as Agyakwa could only find the hands of keeper Palmer and then when Jack Payne was sent clear, Palmer again was on the spot to save well.

A series of U’s substitutions saw Colchester step up the pressure as the home team failed to really capitalise on their goal and it came as no real surprise when they equalised as Macauley Bonne cut the ball back to the edge of the box to Sammie Szmodics.

He saw his first shot saved, and was then alert to follow up and put away the rebound.

Although the home team created other good chances, the sides went into the half time break on level terms at 1-1.

However there was to be no final spot for the U’s as Southend took the match in the early minutes after half time, with another cracking effort as striker Shamir Mullings fired in an unstoppable shot from just outside the box, that gave Palmer no chance.

Callum Rogers, Matty Brown, Tom Lapslie, Toby Blanche and Nnamdi NwachukuUsed subs:

Miles Palmer, Conor Clarke, Frankie Kent, Billy Roast, Michael O’Donoghue, Gus Mafuta, Tom Lapslie, Jack Curtis, Sammie Szmodics, Jack Simmons, Macauley Bonne Team:

Advertisement block