Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Back To Winning Ways

17 November 2012

U's ease to Bury win with fine display.

The U’s were unchanged for their latest home game, as boss Joe Dunne stuck with the eleven that had started at Crewe a week earlier.

And, with so much having been said about the U's defence in the last couple of weeks, they answered in perfect style with their fifth clean sheet in ten league games under the Irishman's management.

Having dominated territory in the first half, they made it count in the second with two well crafted goals to make it nineteen points in ten league games under Joe Dunne.

The U's got back to winning ways on Saturday with an assured performance in front of their home fans.

They started the game well, patiently stroking the ball around to try and find a way of opening up the opposition. 

Wordsworth burst out of midfield five minutes in and, under pressure from his man, drove in a low shot that keeper Carson fielded into his midriff.

Wordsworth was then only a couple of yards from getting onto a cross from Henderson as another fine move saw the winger send a low one in for Sears and his U’s team mate to chase.

The U’s were in vibrant form and broke on masse ten minutes towards the Bury goal. A low cross across the edge of the area eventually found Henderson but his left footed shot was well wide.

They had their passing game going and it wasn’t until the twentieth minute that the Shakers had a moment of pressure, although the home side defended well.

For all of the U’s pressure, they were still looking for another chance of a clear sight of Carson’s goal, but they had two chances in quick succession on the half hour mark.

First strong work from Ibehre and Wilson set up a Henderson shot on the turn that forced a good stop out of Carson.

Then Eastmond was afforded space by the Bury defence and his low shot was fielded by the Bury keeper at his near post.

Ibehre then showed battling qualities to see off Hughes and set up Sears who, under pressure had a shot from the edge of the box blocked.

Sears then had a shot from further out that took a deflection on its way through, but Carson readjusted his hands to just collect as it came to him.

The U’s prompted and probed, chased and harried, but they had Sullivan to thank as Poleon burst out of midfield for Bury’s first chance on 38 minutes, flicking the ball around the post with a sharp save.

The Shakers should have taken the lead on the stroke of half time, too.

A free kick quickly taken – with suggestions that the ball was still rolling from the U’s bench saw the visitors break away, but Hopper should have done better as he turned his effort wide of goal.

The visitors started the second half brightly, penning the U’s in for the first five minutes after the interval.

Having ridden that storm, the U’s got their noses in front just before the hour mark.

Persistence from Henderson got the U’s fifty yards up the pitch and he lay a good ball out to Ibehre.

The forward took his time and stood up a cross into the area, where Wordsworth arched his back to power home a header past the despairing dive of Carson.

Henderson was enjoying himself and played a big part in the second, as the U’s doubled their advantage on 61 minutes.

He got a dangerous ball into the area and Ibehre stepped over it, to allow it to get to Sears, who moved it outside of his man and drilled home a second goal.

The Shakers were stunned but tried to get back into the game with twenty minutes to go. A corner was stabbed onto the bar by Ebanks-Landell, but Eastman hooked clear from a prone position to preserve the advantage.

Having been introduced as a sub, Morrison felt aggrieved to have a free kick against him when it appeared he was being held back.

He did get away with five minutes left, but didn’t quite have the legs to get away from his man as he slipped on taking his shot.

Massey was introduced afterwards and he burst into the box to set up Morrison, but his low shot was well blocked.

The visitors kept throwing the ball forward but the U’s stood strong, ensuring another vital clean sheet and a big three points ahead of the visit of improving Coventry on Tuesday.

Advertisement block