Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Commanding Win For U18s

10 November 2012

Chelsea await in the FA Youth Cup.

The U’s went close within a couple of minutes, as a cross from the left hand side saw Wright almost nod home, only to be denied by a great late stop from the keeper.

Faversham were a sterner test than their fellow non-league side, but the U's youngsters showed an assurance to ease to victory and set up a tantalising tie in the next round.

After scoring thirteen in the First Round against Camberley, John McGreal's team went on the goal trail again, notching eight this time around.
The U's youth team booked an FA Youth Cup Third Round tie against holders Chelsea, with another commanding victory in the competition.

There followed a series of corners, but the visiting defence stayed strong in those early stages to preserve the status quo.

However, the U’s got their noses in front after just six minutes as Frankie Kent stepped out of defence on the halfway line to strike an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner past the helpless goalkeeper.

Wright bundled his way through three challenges not long afterwards, and from the resultant corner, Michael O’Donoghue almost swung the ball home at the near post straight from the set piece.

They did extend their advantage from another corner, though, as Gilbey headed home from a set piece to double the lead.

Simmons showed his pace on 20 minutes, bursting down the right to try and send in a cross, but keeper Stebbeds snapped it up with Szmodics lingering.

Faversham were getting into U’s territory more than Camberley had done in the First Round, though, and King’s long range effort was well collected by Morris in the U’s goal 22 minutes in.

The U’s had the ball in the back of the net not long after that as Szmodics tucked home Bonne’s shot across goal, but the linesman’s flag was quickly up.

Bonne was then within inches from tucking home as a cross from the right just missed his outstretched boot.

O’Donoghue then tested the keeper again with a curling shot destined for the top corner, but Stebbeds tipped it away with his finger tips.

And the visitors pulled one back just after the half hour mark. Morris made a great save from Holness’ shot, but could do nothing as Mosaku tucked home at the far post.

The goal lifted Faversham, but the U’s took a step to quell that comeback as the ball was swung over by O’Donoghue and, as it beat keeper Stebbeds, Lapslie headed home at the far post.

Lapslie almost made it four, four minutes before half time, with a shot on the angle at the edge of the box. His effort caught the keeper in the face before clipping off the top of the bar.

Keeper Stebbeds was down for treatment for some time after that goal and didn’t seem quite with it after that, and he was partly at fault for the U’s fourth goal just before the break.

The ball came loose on the edge of the box and Bonne – who had scored six against Camberley – was persistent enough to win it and stroke home into the empty net.

The visitors remained undeterred though and a fantastic cross from the left just missed two players, with Holness the closest as he slid towards the goal.

The keeper was replaced at half time, with Toby Wood coming on at the interval. But he had not touched the ball before the U’s extended their advantage.

Bonne chased a high ball forwards and, with the keeper hesitating, lobbed him from twenty yards out.

The visitors were the next to go close on 55 minutes, as Maagbe, who had not been on for more than five minutes, found himself in plenty of space in the box. But he miscued his finish and it was an easy collect for Morris.

At the other end, on the hour mark, Wright finished off a good move by the U’s as he drilled in a shot across goal, but Wood stood strong to see the shot away.

Gilbey struck a  shot from distance that the keeper just about held, before defender Kent went down heavily after a blow to the head.

The centre half was down for some time, receiving extended treatment from the U’s physio team, and he was eventually substituted for Jack Curtis with a quarter of the game remaining.

The U’s were awarded a penalty not long afterwards after Gilbey was felled in the box and the midfielder picked himself up to slot home a sixth.

It quickly became seven as Wright stepped up a cross from the right hand side and Bonne was on hand to complete his hat-trick.

Nwachuku came on with just over fifteen to go, and had the ball in the back of the net shortly afterwards, but he went early for Curtis’ cross and his accomplished finish did not count.

Bonne was on the goal trail though and got his fourth of the game and tenth of the competition as he made the most of a goalkeeping fumble to tuck home from close range.

Faversham had a chance with a free kick on the edge of the box, but Morris flew across goal to get a strong arm to it and turn Oliver’s effort behind.

And the visiting captain almost got on target from the set piece, rising highest to head against the bar.

However, the result was always in the U's favour and they march onto Round Three.

Shortly afterwards, Nwachuku almost made it nine, but sub keeper Wood pulled off a superb save from a lob similar to Bonne’s earlier effort.

Advertisement block