Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Late Goals Condemn U's

12 November 2012

Bristol finish with a flurry to earn win.

A late flurry of goals saw Bristol City earn a commanding victory in the U's latest U21s fixture, defeating the U's by a 5-1 scoreline. The U’s were the first to go close, Olufemi sending Ladapo inside the right back towards goal. As the keeper advanced, the striker poked it towards goal, but it was cleared from going in by Battersby.

An own goal had drawn the U's level with an improved start to the second half, but four goals in the last quarter of the game from City - and three in four minutes - ensured they took the win back to the West Country.

City came into the game having already beaten the U's in the first game of the season and they completed the double with their late show against the home side.

At the other end, a swift City move saw Burns slide in Bola, but Phillips was quick off his line to smother the low shot.
Ladapo looked lively and twisted and turned past Dobie before unleashing a shot from distance that fizzed past the post.

The U’s had made a couple of mistakes at the back, though and on one counter attack, White was left chasing back two City players. Dobie was the man slipped in, but as he rounded Phillips, White got back to clear off the line.

The greasy pitch was giving the keepers plenty to think about and Castanheira was on hand to turn a sharp Ladapo shot around the post after the striker cut inside his full back.

Chances were limited in the opening half, but James-Lewis picked the ball up in a central position and struck in a shot that Castanheira held at the second time of asking.

At the other end, Brian decided to take matters into his own hands and drilled in an effort from distance that smacked the advertising boards behind the goal.

O’Toole, who has been in good scoring form outside of the first team in recent weeks, had a chance five minutes before half time, but again the visiting keeper collected well.

The visitors really should have taken the lead just after that as they picked up on another mistake by the U’s and hit them on the counter, but Reid screwed his chance wide.

However, they did get their noses in front with pretty much the last kick of the half, when Burns got in on goal and lifted his effort over Phillips and into the net.
They should have been two up within minutes of the restart, as a Hamilton slip allowed Ajala to shoot towards goal. 

Phillips tipped his shot onto the post and as it trickled back off the woodwork, reacted quickly to block the follow up.

The U’s then got into dangerous territory, with Bender whipping a superb ball across the six yard box that just eluded the outstretched boot of Ladapo.

The home side did draw level midway through the second half as a corner was not fully cleared. Hamilton drove the ball into the danger area and it deflected off Dobie and into the net.

City almost got their noses in front as a free kick to the near post was flicked past Phillips, but Thompson was on hand to clear the ball off the line, despite the protestations of the visiting players.

The visitors did restore their lead with about ten minutes remaining as Burns got in on goal and, despite the attentions of White and the advancing Phillips, he kept his calm to slide the ball home into the net.

He was replaced after scoring by Jamal Simms and the substitute almost made an immediate impression, curling a shot that pinged back off the crossbar with Phillips beaten.

The visitors were finishing strongly and ran away with the game with three goals in the space of four minutes to end with a commanding lead.

First, Phillips was beaten by the deflection on Krans’ shot as it looped over him and into the net.

Next, Hall made it four as he picked up a ricochet to slam it home into the top corner with a fine finish that gave the keeper no chance.

The fifth then followed as Ajala powered down the left hand side, holding off the attentions of Sanderson on the way.

It looked like his chance had gone as he stretched for his shot but it came back off Phillips for him to slide home.

Ladapo slid one wide of the far post, but it was scant consolation as the Robins ran out comfortable winners come the final whistle.

U's: Phillips, White, Nkumu (Ramm 70), Thompson, Bender (Wright 51), Hamilton, O'Toole, Sanderson, James-Lewis (Gilbey 60), Olufemi, Ladapo 

Advertisement block