Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/10/2012

2 October 2012

The U’s have won for the second time in three days, with a much deserved win against Swindon Town at the County Ground on Tuesday night.

Swindon were in fourth place before the teams kicked off but they were haunted by their former left back Michael Rose.

After a goalless first half, Rose’s low free kick into the bottom corner on sixty eight minutes was enough for new boss Joe Dunne to claim his second win in as many games in charge.

Dunne unsurprisingly named the same eleven players who started the game against Hartlepool on Saturday, with all three new loanees retaining their places.

They had had the freedom to play against Hartlepool, but this time they were asked to show their will to battle and, in a display that will please the new management team, came through with flying colours. 

It was the U's first goal on the road this season, earning them a much merited three points as their side put in a perfect away day display and lift themselves further away from trouble and continue the bright start under their new manager. 

There was one change on the U’s substitute bench though, with Matt Heath replacing Kem Izzet.

Swindon also came into the game on the back of a win, not just one but four in succession, but Paolo Di Canio made four changes to his starting eleven.

Archibald-Henville, Navarro, Miller and Benson came in for Ward, Ferry, Coke and Collins.

With both sides having confidence from weekend wins, it was no surprise that they both came out wanting to attack at every opportunity in the early stages.

Navarro’s forward run was stopped by a neat interception from Brian Wilson and then Mark Cousins made a great low save from Williams.

Then in the space of a minute, the U’s had two efforts deflected for corners, with Anthony Wordsworth and Wilson unlucky with the efforts.

In the fourteenth minute, Sanchez Watt got on the end of a cleverly worked free kick routine but his shot didn't match the build-up, finishing well wide of the target.

Play from both sides became scrappy in the middle of the first half, before Tom Eastman had to move quickly across to block a goalbound shot.

At the other end, Magnus Okuonghae got onto the end of a corner but his header didn't trouble Foderingham in the home goal.

Cousins watched a harmless De Vita shot fly over his crossbar before the U’s finished the half in the home half.

A flurry of blocked shots eventually led to a corner but Swindon cleared the danger and the half time whistle went with the scores at 0-0.

As the second half started, it looked like both managers had asked for a lift in the tempo.

And the first attack came from the U’s, as Eastmond's wide free kick evaded everyone, with only a touch needed to put it in.

The U’s continued to attack in the early stages of the second period and Wilson put a free kick over, after Craig Eastmond was fouled.

Swindon had to wait until the hour mark for their first sight of goal, as Williams’ flick goalwards was easily taken at the near post by Cousins.

They didn’t have to wait much longer for their second, but it was high and wide from Williams’ this time.

On the hour mark, Ritchie went well wide from long range and shortly after, Sanchez Watt couldn’t take advantage of a long ball forward and put his cross shot wide.

On sixty eight minutes, the U’s took the lead. A handball on the edge of the area gave the U’s a free kick and former Swindon left back Michael Rose did the rest.

Spotting the keeper well over to one side of the goal, Rose curled his low effort into the opposite corner, much to the home crowd’s dismay. 

On seventy four minutes, Sanchez Watt made way for Freddie Sears as Joe Dunne made his first change.

And he almost grabbed a goal with his first involvement, pulling his shot wide of the near post.

In those ten minutes, the home side huffed and puffed looking for an equaliser but the U's comfortably held on, to further lift them up the League One table.

With ten minutes to go, Dunne made his other two permitted changes, bringing on Ian Henderson and Clinton Morrison for Ibehre and Massey. 

Advertisement block