Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/09/2012

22 September 2012

The U’s made two changes to their starting eleven as Magnus Okuonghae and Ian Henderson both missed out, with Matt Heath and Karl Duguid coming into the side.

The U's quest for a win goes on and, with some of the play their side put in during this game, the players will wonder what more they need to do to get that victory. 

Yet the winger had barely had time to get himself into the game before the U's conceded the spot kick, which Leon Clarke made no mistake with. 

After an even first half, the U's had had the better of the second period and had made a statement of their intentions going into the final quarter with the attacking introduction of Ian Henderson with fifteen to go. 
The U's tales of misfortune continued on Saturday, as a late penalty saw Scunthorpe take all three points from the battle of two teams looking to kick start their season. 

The visitors started brightly, with first a Wilson cross from the right being cleared under pressure from Mirfin, before Rose also stepped out of defence to fire one just wide.

Scunthorpe then went close as a shot from distance was tipped over the bar by a good save from Cousins, before having two further long range efforts as the U’s defence kept them at bay.

The home side were patient in possession but were hit with a pacey Col U counter attack on fifteen minutes, which ended with Wordsworth firing the ball just over the bar as it curled past Slocombe.

The U’s followed that up with another chance as Wordsworth injected some pace into a patient move, playing it off Bean and onto Massey, who forced a full length stop out of the Scunthorpe keeper.

Massey was integral to the U’s early moves and, having won a corner, helped set up a move that saw Duguid stab a shot towards goal before being flagged offside.

It was a bright spell for the U’s, and Massey again caused problems 25 minutes in, sending over a swift low cross that was met on the turn by Morrison, only for the defender to block.

Rose went into the book with fifteen left in the first half, catching Ribeiro as he stretched having won the initial tackle but losing out on the second.

The U’s had pressed the ball superbly during the first half and kept the home side well at bay, with Newey’s winding run and scuffed shot a rare occasion on which the back line was breached.

They went in all square, but the home side started well in the second period.

Mirfin went close from a corner, but probably should have done better as he headed wide having risen in space at the far post.

However, the U’s had an even better chance twelve minutes after the restart.

Morrison’s header on the turn forced a fine stop out of Slocombe, and it dropped to the falling Heath. Somehow, the keeper recovered to hook the ball away from the despairing defender's feet.

The game was starting to open up and a Col U counter attack sent Morrison down the right and his fierce cross only just eluded Wordsworth.

At the other end, Duffy skipped inside to fire in a cross that was deflected behind for a corner, which the U’s again defended well.

Bean was next to try his luck, striding out of midfield and, as no one came to him, he struck in a shot that was well hit but had to be turned over the bar by a sharp Slocombe stop.

The U’s retrieved the ball from a Scunthorpe attack midway through the second half, but the ball into the area was just beyond Massey in the middle.

Wordsworth became the latest yellow card recipient with twenty to go, catching his man by the corner flag as he dived across to try and stop the ball down the line.

The visitors had kept Scunthorpe at bay for much of the game but, twice within ninety seconds, Duffy got in on goal and twice Cousins stood up strong to block.

It continues the U's frustrating start to the season, but results elsewhere meant that their league position remained unchanged. 

As the half wore on, the U's attempted to find a way back into the game against a nervous Scunthorpe back line, but the luck was not with them as the match finished 1-0 to the home side. 

no mistake as he blasted the spot kick home.  However, the home side got a penalty with fourteen to go as Clarke went to ground in the box and the loanee made 
U's: Cousins, Rose, Heath, Eastman, Wilson, Bean, Izzet (Henderson 74), Wordsworth, Duguid (Wright 76), Morrison, Massey (Sears 76)

Advertisement block