Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Pick Up Valuable Point

1 April 2013

Wright goal proves vital for U's.

The U's picked up what could be a crucial point in a battling performance against Oldham Athletic on Easter Monday.

In what was a vital fixture as the games start to run out at the bottom of League One, the U's knew this was a must not lose match against the Latics, who are also in the thick of the battle to stay in the division.

The two teams ended up sharing the spoils and, with Scunthorpe losing at Bournemouth, the U's extended their advantage over the drop zone to three points.

The home side, as expected, came flying out of the blocks as they looked to get their noses in front.

They had the benefit of the wind in the first half - although it's fair to say that it often proved to be a hindrance to Lee Johnson's men as the opening forty-five minutes unfolded.

The Latics almost got their noses in front on twelve minutes.

The wind played a factor in the way the corner found its way into the six yard box and Walker had to claw off his line before the defence eventually saw off the ball.

They had another set piece which caused similar problems, but this time the dangerous Barnard could only fire into the side netting.

The home side were on top in the early exchanges, but found themselves one down, thanks in part to their own goalkeeper.

Good work by Jabo Ibehre saw him wriggle off the touchline and towards the penalty area, where he set the ball up for the waiting Andy Bond.

The U's midfielder didn't get full power on his shot and it looked like an easy collect for Dean Bouzanis. 

However, the home crowd were left aghast as he spilt the ball and it fell to Drey Wright, who took a touch to set himself before firing high into the net.

The goal rattled the home side, and the U's went on the offensive in the second half of the opening period.

They went close again after Massey and Bond had combined, setting up Ibehre who rifled one over the bar with Bouzanis beaten.

However, the Latics fired a shot across the U's bow with nine minutes of the first half remaining when Simpson made the most of a ball that sat up and fired a shot just wide of Walker's far post.

The U's had two more chances before the half came to a close - first goalscorer Wright hit a half volley that Bouzanis turned wide, before Massey broke forward only to pull his shot wide of the near post.

One up at the break, the U's had yet another set piece to defend at the start of the second half.

Baxter was the man behind the free kick, but his effort troubled the U's fans behind the goal more than Walker between the sticks.

Croft was a growing influence in the game for Oldham and, after one low cross saw Wesolowski's cross well blocked by the U's defence, the Latics were level midway through the second half.

The Latics number seven had sent over another dangerous cross before finding his mark on the third time lucky for Johnson's men.

He stood one up to the onrushing Baxter, who powered a header home off the underside of the bar, giving Walker no chance.

The Latics' tails were up again and they were having the better of the territory, but without really testing Walker too often as their final ball left the home fans frustrated.

Indeed, it was the U's who were to go closest next up, as first Wilson's free kick was shovelled behind by Bouzanis and then, from the resulting free kick, Ibehre's header hit the face of the bar and away to safety.

Baxter pulled another shot wide as the game entered the final ten minutes, as the game entered an attritional stage with both sides looking for a winner whilst being wary of not getting caught at the other end of the pitch.

Despite four minutes of additional time, neither side could conjure up a winner and the U's points tally ticks over to the mid-forties.

Five games remain - three at home - and the U's destiny is very much in their own hands.

Advertisement block