Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's U21s Beaten By Town

22 April 2013

Early double decisive for Ipswich

Richard Hall's U21s were beaten by Ipswich Town at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

Two early strikes proved decisive and the visitors added a third in the second half.

It only took Ipswich three minutes to open the scoring, as Mark Timlin tapped in from close range.

Lee Martin had broken clear of the U’s defence but was denied by the save from Shaun Phillips, but Timlin was on hand with the rebound.

The visitors had another sight of goal on six minutes but Marriott’s shot from a narrow angle flew wide.

The Town forward only had to wait two minutes for another chance and this time he made no mistake.

Possession was lost in the midfield by the U’s and Marriott raced clear and finished smartly under Phillips to double the advantage.

The U’s got their first sight of goal on twelve minutes but Tosin Olufemi had his shot blocked.

Freddie Ladapo then got in behind the Town defence on the left hand side but his pull back was cleared before a teammate could capitalise.

As the U’s tried to get back in the game, Drey Wright got on the end of a short corner but his shot couldn’t test Lee-Barrett in the visitors’ goal.

In the final quarter of an hour of the first half, the game quietened down and neither side created a clear cut chance before the referee blew the half time whistle with the U’s two behind.

After the half time teamtalk, the U’s started the second half on the front foot and Ladapo twisted and turned but had his shot from the edge of the box blocked.

Matt Heath then had an effort blocked as well, as a corner wasn’t cleared by the visitors.

The best chance for the U’s came on sixty three minutes, as Tosin Olufemi headed wide from a great cross from sub Jack Simmons, who replaced Drey Wright at half time.

It proved costly, as Ipswich increased their lead nine minutes later, as Chopra slotted home to make it 3-0.

Nnamdi Nwachuku and Sammy Szmodics replaced Sanderson an Ladapo with sixteen minutes remaining but the visitors held firm.

In injury time, the U’s almost got a consolation, but Lee-Barrett denied Hubble before Simmons shot wide.

The final whistle went immediately after that U’s attack and left the U’s with just one game remaining in the U21s league.

U’s: Phillips, Spence, Heath, Fletcher, O’Donoghue, Melaugh, Sanderson, Hubble, Wright, Ladapo, Olufemi.

Subs: Szmodics, Nwachuku, Simmons, Bonne, Ramm.

Advertisement block