Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 10/08/2013

10 August 2013

The home side started brightly, penning Vale into their own half in the first few minutes, only for Chris Neal in goal for the visiting side to punt the ball into the U’s half when Duffy won a free kick in an imposing position. Lines fizzed the ball in, only to see Walker punch away calmly.

At the other end, they stood firm at the times when Vale had their own pressure in the game, to make it four successive clean sheets in the league. 

Neal had been a thorn in the U's side in the game, making a number of saves through the game, but the U's eventually got the goal they were after. 

This time it was Gavin Massey who was the U's hero, popping up to smash home a loose ball after Vale keeper Chris Neal saved Jabo Ibehre's initial effort. 

The U's made it two wins - and two clean sheets - out of two, as another late goal proved the difference against Port Vale on Saturday.

Dickson was looking to attack at every opportunity, this time being fouled by Duffy in a similar position to Port Vale’s just minutes earlier. Wilson whipped the ball in, only to see Neal punch the ball away and clear for Vale. 

Freddie Sears received a pass from Ibehre, and it looked like he had been pushed too wide for a shot, but he shot and smashed the ball against the bar. 

It was all going smoothly for the U’s who hadn’t really experienced any Vale pressure, but when Loft shot on the turn, it gave Walker something to think about as he went scrambling across his goal only to see the ball go just over the bar and out for a goal kick.

Wilson played a long ball down the wing to Sears, who got in under control and laid it off to Ibehre whose blocked shot was cleared. Soon after Watt had a shot deflected luckily over the bar, as Neal went diving across his goal. 

Watt broke clear, easily beating  Pope, before he was chopped down by Lines, setting Massey free for a shot on goal that was fantastically saved by Neal.

Lines wasted a free kick that again created a chance for the U’s, as Massey broke down the left wing, and punted a brilliant ball to Sears who could only shoot against Neal, before Vale managed to clear their lines.

Watt lofted a ball over the Vale defence to Massey, before the onrushing Neal managed to punch the ball away. Ibehre got the ball and tried a first time shot, but the ball bounced just wide.
Vale attacked down the left wing, and Jones managed to wriggle clear of Brian and get the cross in as Pope was running across Okuonghae, and his deflected shot was gratefully caught by Walker.

Half time and it was all square.

The U’s came out clearly with the intention of scoring early on, as Dickson whipped a ball across the area, after a lot of U’s pressure beforehand, and Massey got his head on the end of it, only to direct it into the side netting.

Massey played a ball to Watt who moved it onto Sears, who then had the courage to take a shot, which curled just wide, taking a deflection on the way through; winning the U’s a corner. A short corner by Watt, saw another chance as Massey laid the ball off to Eastmond, whose shot was cleared away.

The U’s were now on the attack, and Ibehre got the ball on the right flank before laying a ball off to Wilson whose cross found its way Dickson. After his header was poorly cleared to Sears, his shot could only be deflected and subsequently cleared by Vale.

Loft put a brilliant cross in, and Jones was at the back post ready to head the ball past Walker, but Wilson was at hand to clear the ball away with a fantastic defensive header.

To try and get a goal, Port Vale brought on Lee Hughes to replace Tomlin who had worked very hard up front.

Massey was released down the left hand side, and shot straight at Neal, but he parried it against Robertson, who just got back to make the goal line clearance, out to Eastmond. His cross was straight to Ibhere’s feet, but he shot into the arms of Neal. 

Massey grabbed the first goal of the game when Ibehre’s shot was deflected to the back post, where a sliding Massey slid the ball home for the U’s.

This forced Micky Adams into two more changes for Vale, as Jones and Pope were replaced by Myrie-Williams and Williamson.

Sears broke clear of the Vale defence, racing past two players before squaring the ball to Ibehre, who just missed it, leaving Duffy to slice a ball to the scrambling Neal who punched the ball out for a corner. 

Eastmond gave away a needless free kick, which Lines delivered with great accuracy, as it was flicked on for a Vale corner which wasn’t really cleared until Willimsons’s poor header was collected by walker.

Sanchez Watt and Freddie Sears were replaced by Drey Wright and Alex Gilbey respectively, as the game entered its final stages.

The final change of the game saw Craig Eastmond replaced by Marcus Bean. 
Loft put another cross in, this time to Hughes but his deflected header was cleared by the U’s with ease.
The ref blew for full time to rapturous applause from the home crowd who will be happy to see the U’s get another three points.

Advertisement block