Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/12/2013

21 December 2013

The U's have beaten Oldham Athletic 2-0.

An own goal and a Jabo Ibehre tap in gave the a two goal lead at the break and they easily held out in the second. 

It was a fantastic response from the U's players after last weekend's defeat and gave the U's three valuable away points. 

Joe Dunne asked for a strong performance and a strong start at Boundary Park and wouldn't have been disappointed. 

It only took the U’s seven minutes to go ahead, with Craig Eastmond’s cross turned into his own net by Oldham defender Ellis Plummer.

Jabo Ibehre doubled the lead on thirty minutes, tapping in from close range after great work by Dominic Vose on the right.

Dunne made five changes to his starting line-up, bringing in Brian Wilson, Marcus Bean, David Wright, Dominic Vose and Blair Turgott.

Ben Tozer, Alex Gilbey, Ryan Dickson, Clinton Morrison and Macauley Bonne missed out, as the U’s looked for a positive result in the North West.

They started the game well, putting the hosts under pressure and refusing to allow them any space when they were in possession.

Neither side had had a sight of goal before the U’s took the lead, as a Craig Eastmond cross was turned home by Oldham defender Ellis Plummer.

Plummer had put himself in a good position to ensure he got to the ball before Vose but somehow managed to slice his clearance past his own keeper.

A couple of minutes later, the U’s had their first scare, when Marcus Bean lost possession thirty yards out but the resultant shot was blocked.

The U’s were pressing Oldham high up the pitch and created two chances in the space of two minutes.

On fifteen, Jabo Ibehre got himself clear down the right but could only shoot wide from the angle of the box.

Craig Eastmond then repeated things, drilling his right foot effort wide after begin put in by Ibehre.

Whilst Oldham were playing some tidy football, they hadn’t tested Walker and the U’s keeper watched two efforts go high and wide as the home side tried their luck from distance.

On the half hour, the U’s increased their lead, at a time when the home side were enjoying the lion’s share of possession.

Skipper Brian Wilson put the ball forward on the right, finding Vose in a suspiciously looking offside position but the flag stayed down.

The former West Ham forward cleverly lifted the ball over his defender, before rolling a cross across the box for Ibehre to tap into the empty net from close range.

With nine minutes to go until the break, Adam Rooney almost reduced the arrears but headed wide when he got free from a free kick.

Oldham decided to shoot from the next free kick, but Mellor shot well over the bar and the U’s went in at half time two goals ahead.

The second half started with both teams being positive and both having attacks in the first couple of minutes.

Craig Eastmond shot over the bar from an Ibehre pull back and Sam Walker then watched an angled shot fly wide.

Lanzoni then headed over from a free kick but the hosts were struggling to get an effort on target.

That on target shot did come on fifty eight minutes though, but Walker was right behind a long range effort.

Tom Eastman went forward for a corner and got his head on Luke Garbutt’s set piece but could only direct it wide.

Dunne made a double substitution on sixty eight minutes, bringing on Clinton Morrison and Ryan Dickson for Ibehre and Turgott.

Walker was called into action three minutes after the changes, brilliantly tipping away a Brown drive from distance.

With gaps appearing in the Oldham defence as they threw men forward, Dickson shot wide on the break after being found by Vose.

The game went into the final ten minutes with Oldham still playing some tidy football but lacking any real threat to the U’s goal.

A free kick and a long range effort failed to test Walker and the one effort that went closer bounced back off the U’s crossbar.

That scare came on eighty nine minutes and the U’s subsequently saw out four minutes of injury time without conceding another chance.

It was a great response from the U’s players after last weekend’s disappointing defeat against Notts County and a well deserved victory.

It sets them up nicely for two home matches over the festive period, starting with Boxing Day’s encounter against Stevenage.

Advertisement block