Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Town Edge U21s Clash

25 February 2013

Goal filled game at Portman Road.

There were goals galore on Monday night as the U's U21s eventually fell to a 4-3 defeat against near neighbours Ipswich Town.

Having taken the lead in the first half, Town looked like they had extended that to an unassailable 3-1 advantage just before the hour mark.

But a quick fire retort from Alex Gilbey and Jack Compton - both with long range strikes - drew the U's level, before Frank Nouble grabbed the decisive seventh in the game.

That goal completed a hat-trick for the former Wolves man, who provided a powerful presence to test a young U's defence marshalled well by the experienced Matt Heath.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was the early thorn in the U's side, twice firing wide after making space on the edge of the area.

Between those chances, Gilbey had headed over and although Town were to have the more numerous opportunities in the first half, the U's were certainly competitive.

Led by the industrious Izzet, making his return to action, the U's competed well whilst having to hold Town at bay.

Nouble hit the bar on 27 minutes before Drey Wright headed just wide from a corner two minutes later as the teams traded chances.

But it was Drury who broke the deadlock as he beat Phillips with a decent finish.

Four minutes after the interval and Town doubled their advantage and Nouble was the man on hand to make it two to the home side as he outmuscled triallist Kenzer Lee to lift the ball past Phillips.

It was to start a flurry of goals, with Jordan Sanderson pressing well in midfield to rob Lawrence and smack a low shot past Scott Loach to make it 2-1.

Next, Town were to restore their advantage, but not before Wright had curled one narrowly over the bar. Nouble grabbed the third, though, reacting quickest to Drury's blocked shot to scuff home into the net.

But the U's were not to be denied and they won a free kick on the right, which was squared to Gilbey. The midfielder hit the ball in assured fashion and his effort nicked off Nouble and beat the despairing dive of Loach.

The game was being played at a good pace now and after Izzet's stint was completed on 65 minutes, Compton got the U's back on terms with an absolute screamer after he broke from midfield.

At this stage, the U's were having the better of it, but it was Nouble who was to have the last word. The ball found him in space on the far post and he made no mistake as he lashed it past Phillips to get his third and Town's fourth.

Yet the scoring could have been extended still further as Ladapo turned quickly in the box and struck a shot with his left foot that went agonisingly wide.

It was a good showing from the U's side in front of the watching management team ahead of Tuesday night's crucial game against Yeovil.

Advertisement block