Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's See Off Glovers

26 February 2013

Committed effort earns valuable victory.

The U’s made three changes to their starting eleven, with Wilson, Eastman and Bond coming in for White, Thompson and Wright.

Saturday's defeat to Tranmere was swiftly condemned to the memory banks as the U's made it twelve points from the last seven games.

Condemning Yeovil to their first league defeat since Boxing Day, the U's did all that was asked of them in a fine team display to move to within a point of the safety zone in League One.

Committed, hard working and determined - three crucial qualities that ensured that the U's picked up a valuable three points in their quest for safety.

And the U’s started on the front foot, winning a series of corners in those early stages. Okuonghae had the best chance from those set pieces, heading wide as he rose highest at the far post.

At the other end, a Yeovil move ended with Foley volleying well over the bar after Madden’s initial effort was blocked by the U’s defence.

The U’s were playing at a decent tempo and when Sears was sent away with an early throw down the right, he scuffed his cross as Massey darted across goal to try and meet his squared ball.

The U’s pace merchants were enjoying themselves with the way their team were playing, Bond feeding some nice balls into the final third.

At the other end, Appiah met the ball with an athletic header at the near post, but directed his effort well over the bar.

As the twenty minute mark came and went, the visitors were seeing more of the ball, but the U’s were defending excellently to protect their keeper.

Okuonghae went close again at the other end of the pitch, after Porter had won a corner. The defender rose highest at the far post, but couldn’t direct his effort on target.

The visitors went close from a set piece themselves ten minutes before half time. A free kick was drifted in from the right and it went just past Madden’s outstretched boot and past the far post.

Clifford had another effort not long afterwards, but it took a deflection on its path to goal and allowed Stech to collect.

At the other end, Walker was called into action for the first time three minutes before the break, standing up strong as the ball was squared back to the onrushing Upson and turning his shot away from goal.

Clifford got the goal his efforts deserved on the stroke of half time – and what a brilliant goal it was. He picked the ball up in space and let fly from distance with a shot that swerved away from Stech and into the top corner.
The second half started in similar fashion, with Ibehre turning his man on the edge of the box and curling an effort towards goal that forced a fine full length save out of Stech.

Next, Massey let fly from distance after winning the ball 25 yards out, his effort dipping just over the crossbar.

The Glovers weren’t out of the game, though, and had a couple of corners early in the second half to test the U’s back line.
But the U’s stood firm to that early examination, and had a shout for a penalty just before the hour mark as Sears went to ground. In fairness, it was the U’s fans appealing for the spot kick, but the referee showed no interest.

The U’s did get their noses further in front – through that man Sears. Garmston showed brilliant persistence and strength down the left to get to the byline and cut back to his team mate. Sears took a touch and lashed home.

Chances were limited for the visitors, with Burn grabbing a header at the far post that Walker turned away with strong hands.

The U’s made their first change with fourteen to go as Garmston limped off to be replaced by Josh Thompson. Then Morrison was introduced for Ibehre as the game entered its final stages, with Wright coming on for Porter. 

And they saw out the injury time that was added on at the game to pick up a crucial three points.

Around those substitutions, the U’s defended manfully whilst continuing to press across the team to keep the Glovers at bay.

Advertisement block