Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Hold Spurs To Draw

19 July 2013

Plenty of chances, but no goals.

It was a bright start from the U’s when Drey Wright wins a corner after beating Kyle Walker for pace down the left hand side. The corner was taken but only half cleared to Watt who smashed a left foot volley against the post.

And in two performances against Premier League sides this week, they've shown that they're in good form ahead of the new campaign.

The U's worked hard to keep their opponents at bay but, at the same time, did enough going forwards to show that they will be testing teams in League One this season.

Colchester United held Premier League Tottenham Hotspur to a goalless draw on Friday night in another performance that would have left Joe Dunne feeling encouraged with the season just two weeks away.

The home side got penned in in the opening 8 minutes but Sam Walker managed to slice a clearance, relieving the pressure.

Townsend danced left and right to get past Dickson, finally getting his shot off, only for it to be saved by Sam Walker, who punched clear the resulting corner.

Townsend had another shot saved by Walker, when he spun in the area only to see Sam get down low to his left to push it wide. 

Danny Rose found himself in the box, and went to ground, but the referee gave nothing and from the U’s breakaway, Drey Wright won a corner, from which David Wright curled a shot just over Friedel’s goal.

Rose put in a cross which was just behind Adebayor, but it was only cleared to Rose, who hit a shot towards the goal, only to be saved by Walker, who tipped it over for a corner.

Yago Falque played a ball trough to Kyle Walker who’s cross was smashed against Dickson’s body, only for it to be cleared once again.

Freddie Sears picked up the ball on the halfway line and kept running all the way unchallenged until the edge of the box, when he shot, but Friedel watched it fly high and wide. 

Both teams went into the halftime break without scoring a goal, 0-0.

The U’s had an early scare in the second half when Townsedn hit a powerful shot that fizzed just over the bar.

Sears linked up with Jabo Ibehre in the Tottenham box, who’s blocked shot was fumbled acorss the line for a corner. 

Colchester were pressing hard now, and Lloris was forced into a fantastic save when Freddie Sears’ shot on the turn was pushed just wide.

Harry Kane was sent though by Tom Carroll, but could only shoot at Sam Walker, before Jermaine Defoe smashed a shot high over the bar and into the Spurs fans behind.

Thompson, Cousins, Spence, Okuonghae, O’Donoghue, Szmodics, and Massey all came on in the 70th minute to replace Watt, Olufemi, Walker, Pappoe, Eastman, Dickson and Sears.

Defoe wriggled clear of David Wright in the U’s midfield and fired a shot just wide of Mark Cousins’ goal.

Straight away, Scott Parker somehow got the ball through to Kane, who could again only shoot against the U’s keeper, this time Cousins, before Defoe’s follow up hit the post before Cousins managed to smother the ball.

When Defoe cut in from the left hand side, he shot towards the bottom left corner of the goal, to have Cousins deny him again, but when the ball fell to Donbacks, he could hardly miss, but did just that as he put the ball straight at Cousins from an offside position, sparing his blushes. 

Marcus Bean replaced Drey Wright in the 83rd minute.

A quick break by the U’s saw Jabo running down the right hand side, but when he tried to put the ball across, he could only find the legs of Assou Ekotto who put it out for another Colchester corner, which was cleared by the Spurs defence with ease.
The game finished 0-0, but the U’s showed what they are capable of against a good Tottenham side. 

Advertisement block