Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Brave U's Win At Bury

16 March 2013

Ten men triumph at Gigg Lane.

The game started with a bang, as the U’s were reduced to ten men following George Porter’s retaliation after being fouled.

It was backs to the wall stuff in the second period but the U's held firm in a heroic performance from all concerned as the U's took another crucial step towards safety.
The U's have won 2-1 at Bury to gain three more points in the battle to beat the drop.

Bury went ahead on twenty five minutes, as former U’s forward Craig Fagan drilled home but the lead only lasted five minutes.

Josh Thompson headed home a corner and it got better for the U’s less than a minute later.

Gavin Massey broke forward and when he was halted, the ball broke for Clinton Morrison to calmly sidefoot into the bottom corner.

It was all Bury in the second half, with chances coming regularly for Kevin Blackwell’s side.

The brave U's held out though and it was a valuable three points for Joe Dunne and the U's.

Leading up to the game, a bug had preventing a number of players making the trip north but fortunately, Joe Dunne was only forced into one change to his starting eleven.

Brian Wilson was replaced at right back by David Wright but the bench saw major changes from the game against Coventry on Tuesday night.

Kem Izzet returned after injury, Karl Duguid was involved for the first time for a few months and youngsters Tosin Olufemi, Freddie Ladapo and Shaun Phillips joined them on the bench, along with Marcus Bean.

The home started with the bit between their teeth and the U’s had to defend well to prevent them getting through to Sam Walker in the U’s goal.

With only three minutes gone, the U’s had to reshuffle their pack, thanks to an early red card.

George Porter was fouled as the ball broke out the U’s box but a red card was flashed at the U’s man, presumably for something the ref saw as retaliation.

Dunne moved to a three man midfield, keeping Morrison in behind Smith but with far more defensive responsibility.

The U’s reacted well to the red card and it was them who had the first sight of goal, with Gavin Massey well side from the edge of the box.

Walker then took two attempts to save a Worrall strike from a free kick, before Josh Thompson blocked a goalbound shot.

From the resultant corner, former U’s striker Craig Fagan headed wide but he was to punish the U’s later in the half.

Massey for the U’s and Fagan for the hosts had efforts at goal, Fagan’s being a clear chance when clean through that he lashed over.

On twenty five minutes, he made amends though, drilling his shot low to Walker’s right after the ball came across the box to him.

The lead only lasted four minutes though, as the U’s equalised and then went ahead in the space of less than a minute.

Massey’s effort was blocked for a corner and from Clifford’s set piece, Josh Thompson powered his header home for his first U’s goal.

As Bury reeled from that setback, they were hit with another, as Morrison gave the U’s the lead.

Gavin Massey again caused problems for the home defence and after his foray was halted, the ball ran to Morrison, who calmly slotted home into the far corner.

It was then a case of Worrall being in the thick of all Bury’s attacking attempts.

He had a shot blocked on the edge of the area on thirty four minutes, before having an effort ruled out for offside.

A fantastic first touch from the Bury wide player then set him up for a shot but it flew over the U’s bar.

He then should have had a shot when clean through in injury time but chose to pass and the chance was lost.

Dunne would have been delighted with his side at half time and would have been looking for more of the same in the second half.

The home side must have been on the end of a talking to at the break and they certainly came out fighting in the second half. 

Within the first five minutes, they should have been at least level, with Schumacher, Fagan and Worrall all missing their chance to equalise.

Schumacher’s was the best chance, with him failing to hit the target when well placed, while Fagan deflecting his shot straight into Walker’s hands.

The U’s then somehow prevented the home side scoring as a goalmouth scramble saw a number of shots blocked on the line before Bond finally cleared.

On fifty six minutes, Thompson was adjudged to have fouled Bishop on the edge of the box, with Walker tipping over the resulting free kick from Schumacher. 

Three minutes later, Bishop had the ball in the net but was clearly offside and the flag silenced the home crowd.

Another goalmouth scramble almost saw the home side score but the ball never crossed the U’s line and the danger was cleared.

That came on sixty nine minutes and a minute later Joe Dunne made his first change, with Tosin Olufemi coming on for his U’s debut as he replaced Clinton Morrison.

On seventy five minutes, Marcus Bean came on for Billy Clifford but before he could touch the ball, the U’s had a let off.

David Wright did well to clear under pressure and from the corner, the ball rebounded off the crossbar and was cleared before a Bury player could capitalise.

All eyes were on the referee as the game wound to a close and the U's stood strong for a crucial three points.

Still the pressure continued but, with Massey providing a fine example of the work ethic in the U's camp, the U's progressed towards the finishing line.

But, after the treatment for Walker earlier in the half, there was to be six minutes of additional time.

The clock was running down now, and the U's were doing a professional job to close the game out.

With nine minutes remaining, Sam Walker made a great reflex save before Rose hit the bar with the follow up header, which Walker also saved well.

Advertisement block