Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18s Make Cup Progress

13 November 2013

U's move into Second Round.

Colchester United U18s perfect start to the season continued on Tuesday night, as they raced through to the Second Round of the FA Cup with a 4-1 win over AFC Wimbledon in the FA Youth Cup.

It continued an excellent run where they've won every game they've played so far this season, scoring plenty of goals along the way.
The U's took the lead after just eighteen seconds to get off to a flier. Sammie Szmodics broke through and finished calmly with a low shot across the goalkeeper.

The Dons responded with a couple of good chances of their own through Oakley, but found themselves two behind after ten minutes. 

The ball was well worked by Callum Harrison out to the right hand side to Tyler Brampton. He sent over a perfect cross for Macauley Bonne to continue his goalscoring streak with a thumping header to double the U's advantage.

The U's perfect start to the game hit a hitch as the midway point of the half approached, as Szmodics had to be replaced as he injured himself stretching for the ball.

He was replaced by Tom Monk, who went out onto the left with Tariq Issa moving inside.

After Overton had fired over the bar on 23 minutes, the U's made it three a minute later, as Bonne powered down the left and fired home in style.

That advantage was to last ten minuites as U's keeper Ronnie Carroll caught Overton in the box and Wimbledon skipper Pearse converted his spot kick.

Next, a fine slide rule pass by Curtis puts in Monk, but the keeper denied him. From the resultant corner, Monk hits the inside of the post but the ball stayed out and was cleared for another corner from which Bonne powered a header goalwards, but was cleared.

Just before the half time interval, the Dons thought they'd got another back, but Oakley's effort was ruled out for offside.

At half time, Tom Lapslie made his first appearance in six months as he replaced Issa and then the U's resumed creating chances.

First Monk burst through but was denied, before Curtis fired over a free kick from distance.

The returning Lapslie did better from a set piece as he fired home a free kick of his own to reward a good start to the half by the U's.

His spell on the pitch was to last a planned 25 minutes, with Cameron James coming on on 70 minutes.

Curtis went close to extending the advantage with ten minutes to go, his run through the centre of the Dons defence finishing with a good save by home keeper Bishop.

The U's were determined to protect their advantage and O'Donoghue got in a fine block at the death to ensure it finished 4-1 to the visiting side.

They now face Plymouth in the next round.

Advertisement block