Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Fall To Wolves Defeat

5 October 2013

League high-fliers pick up the win.

In form Lee Griffiths found the net twice, once from the penalty spot with Freddie Sears missing a Colchester spot kick late on.

Wolves made it three wins in a row and retained their unbeaten away record after seeing off Colchester in front of a packed Weston Homes Community Stadium.

Wanderers applied the early pressure in the game via efforts from Griffiths and Sam Ricketts, neither causing any concern. Griffiths also cleverly dummied a pass to set Kevin Doyle up in the box before Colchester defenders dealt with the danger.

The home side soon fought back forcing Wolves keeper Karl Ikeme into making two good saves as David Wright volleyed from outside the box, leading to a cross with Jabo Ibehre headed tamely.

This was followed by a brilliant chance for Matt Taylor to get his second in as many games as he headed just wide of the post from a Luke Garbutt free kick.

These wasted opportunities were soon to be punished as Jack Price went down under a challenge from Matt Taylor inside the box leading to a penalty. Lee Griffiths stepped up to score his sixth goal of the season with U’s keeper Sam Walker coming painfully close to reaching his shot.

Following a few good chances including a free kick from James Henry and a header just wide from Danny Batth, Wolves made it to half time one up; extending their run of not conceding in the first half to 10 games.

A second goal for Wolves came just a minute into the second half, with a cross drilled in from Henry and met by Griffiths who calmly slotted the ball in for his second of the game and seventh of the season. 

Just ten minutes later and Wolves get a third. After a few minutes of paused play with Kevin McDonald receiving treatment the away side burst forward with Henry’s pass finding Kevin Doyle, the experienced striker lodged the ball into the bottom corner for his second goal of the season.

Colchester responded with two quick changes, Marcus Bean coming on for Wright and Sammie Szmodics for Jeffrey Monakana. 

Marksman Lee Griffiths had two great chances to complete his hatrick, the first game from a superb chipped through ball from Doyle which the Scot headed over. Next he found himself with just one defender to beat but Magnus Okuonghae stood strong to win the ball.

The home side’s best chance of the game came in the 73rd minute as Jabo Ibehre raced clean through on goal but saw his effort saved excellently by Carl Ikeme. This was Ibehre’s last touch before making way for Freddie Ladapo.

With a good spell of possession Colchester came close when Garbutt picked out Ladapo in the box but the striker mistimed his header. Substitute Sammie Szmodics added a new dimension to the U’s attack and looked a real threat late on. 
The U's season will not be decided in games against teams like Wolves, but they will need to get the next win under their belt soon - next up is Walsall at home and a chance to do just that.

Five minutes from time Colchester were awarded a penalty after a scramble in the box involving Ikeme and Bean following a parried shot from Sears. The Wolves keeper saw yellow from referee Robinson before saving Sears penalty, adding to the disappointment for the U’s striker. 

Advertisement block