Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Valley Loss For U's

12 August 2014

Controversy sees cup exit for U's.

The U's have gone out of the Capital One Cup, losing 4-0 at Charlton Athletic. 

A massive decision by the referee in the first half shaped the game, with the U's conceding from a penalty and going down to ten men at the same time.

Magnus Okuonghae was adjudged to have handled an effort on goal, when it seemed to hit him in the ribs, and was sent off before Yoni Buyerns converted the spot kick.

Two further goals from former U's player Lawrie Wilson made the game safe before the hour mark and and a late Church tap in meant the U's wretched run of cup results continued.
Boss Joe Dunne made three changes from the side that drew 2-2 against Oldham Athletic at the weekend, but two were enforced due to injury.

Craig Eastmond and Drey Wright both left the field early, with ankle and knee injuries respectively, and failed to recover in time.

George Moncur and Dominic Vose replaced them against the Latics, and replaced them in the starting line up at The Valley.

The third change for the U’s was in goal, with former Charlton season ticket holder Chris Lewington replacing Sam Walker between the sticks.

While there weren’t too many early saves for either keeper to make, it was the U’s who looked comfortable in possession and created the first chances.

In the third minute, Massey’s cross had to be dealt with at the far post by Gomez before Dominic Vose could make something of it.

And three minutes later, Freddie Sears shot over from a good position, after more good work from Massey on the U’s right.

At the other end, Ben Gordon made a vital tackle on Tucodean, with the Charlton striker wanting a penalty for the challenge.

More joy down the right for the U’s came on twenty minutes, as Massey and Clohessy combined, with the latter crossing for Sears to flick his near post effort just over.

The key moment in the first half came a couple of minutes later, with the U’s doubly punished as the home side attacked.

There were no real appeals from the Charlton players, with the ball looking to have hit the U's captain in the ribs as he blocked the goalbound shot.

 Magnus Okuonghae was adjudged to have used an arm to prevent Charlton scoring and the referee duly pointed to the spot.

The ref then decided that the offence warranted a red card for the U’s skipper and Okuonghae trooped off before Buyens scored from the penalty.

Dominic Vose was sacrificed after the sending off, being replaced by Marcus Bean with Alex Gilbey moving back to centre half.

Charlton then tried to move the ball, and the U’s, around with some patient passing but it was the U’s who got into the opposition penalty area next.

Sears got clear on the right but his cross was too flighted and keeper Henderson was able to collect before the ball got to Ibehre.

Ten minutes before half time, Chris Lewington made the best save of the half, clearing with his feet after a clever corner routine found a striker on the edge of the box.

The half time whistle went with vice captain Sean Clohessy asking questions of the referee, followed by Dunne and his assistant Mark Kinsella.

Dan Holman replaced Gavin Massey at the break, and it was the U’s who had the first effort of the second half.
Freddie Sears found himself in a yard or two of space but Henderson was quickly down to his right to save.

Former U’s player Lawrie Wilson had his first sight of goal two minutes into the half, shooting wide from distance.

He made amends for that off target effort, scoring twice in six minutes.

The first came from an acute angle, after the clearance was put back into the U’box.

An even better finish saw him make it 3-0, as he drilled a shot just inside the far post, giving Lewington no chance.

Clohessy cleared off the line and Gilbey made a vital tackle as the home side continued to push.

The scoreline suggested a one sided affair, but it was the controversial penalty and red card that had a massive influence on proceedings as the U's exited the Capital One Cup.

 A fourth goal came just before time, with Church tapping in a rebound after Lewington saved the initial effort.

Advertisement block