Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Lose By Odd Goal

22 December 2014

Undeserved 3-2 defeat for youngsters.

The U's U21s have narrowly lost 3-2 to Ipswich Town.

It was an undeserved defeat, with the young U's dominating for long periods.

Stewart and Sammon scored first half goals for Town, before Henshall made it three just after the break.

Sammie Szmodics and Cole Kpekawa reduced the arrears but Town hung on for a narrow victory.

The U’s started the game well, with most of the early danger coming down the right.

A low cross from Sammie Szmodics just evaded Rhys Healey and Dion Sembie-Ferris dragged a shot wide from another Szmodics cross.

The only early signs of danger from Ipswich came from two corners, but on both occasions the headers cleared the bar.

They did take the lead against the run of play on twenty minutes though, as a loose ball dropped to Cameron Stewart on the edge of the box and he rifled a shot into the bottom corner.

Lewington denied Stewart a second minutes later with a good save before Cole Kpekawa hooked an effort over after a corner caused problems in visitors’ penalty.

Triallist Anthony Jeffrey drilled a low shot and the rebound from keeper Michael Crowe was hit over from Byron Lawrence.

Rhys Healey could and maybe should have got an equaliser but on one occasion, took too many touches and on the second let his touch get away from him.

On the stroke of half time, the visitors scored a second, when Lewington’s save went straight to Connor Salmon, who tapped home from six yards out.

The U’s made a change during the break, with Macauley Bonne replacing Healey in attack.

It was the home side that created first again in the second period, Szmodics shooting wide after a positive run from deep.

The visitors extended their lead to three goals on fifty four minutes, Henshall drilling a low shot from the angle of the box into the bottom corner.

The U’s nearly got back in the game on the hour but Tom Lapslie was denied twice in a matter of seconds.

First, his header was superbly saved by Crowe, before the Town keeper thwarted the U’s midfielder at the foot of the post.

A minute later, Taylor Tombides came on for Jeffrey and another sixty seconds later, the U’s had got a goal back.

Szmodics latched onto a ball thirty yards out and after driving into the box, calmly sidefooted home via the right hand of Crowe.

He then lobbed just over the crossbar after breaking past the Ipswich defence and he was looking the most serious threat for the U’s.

The visitors did make a rare foray into the U’s final third on seventy minutes, but Lewington palmed away the first and safely took the second.

Kevin Lokko replaced Marley Andrews with fourteen minutes remaining, as the U’s looked to make a late surge.

Szmodics once again caused trouble but his final cross shot went just wide of the far post, and just evaded Tombides as well.

It was 3-2 with three minutes to go, and the best goal of the game came through Cole Kpekawa’s fantastic strike from thirty yards out.

A late booking for Szmodics was the final action of the game and the U’s were extremely unfortunate not to take anything from a game they dominated for long periods.

Advertisement block