Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Pick Up Valuable Point

14 February 2014

Ten men stand strong for a draw.

But the U's stood strong into the dying stages and picked up a great point against a Robins side who had gone into the game with the third best home record in the division prior to kick off.

On his birthday, Sanchez Watt got a card he wouldn't have wanted as he was sent off midway through the second half after a coming together with Nathan Thompson.
The U's battled the elements and a sending off to pick up a valuable point at Swindon on Valentines Day.

Despite the pre-match rain and a last minute pitch inspection, the surface was playing true in the early stages and it was the U’s who first saw sight of goal. 

Wilson and Dickson stood over the free kick, but it was the left back who stepped up to curl over the bar.

The conditions were certainly playing their part, but both sides adapted quickly to the wind and the rain.

Swindon’s forays into the final third were limited in the opening fifteen minutes, but Byrne’s cross from the left on 15, just eluded Smith in the middle.

Midway through the half, a mistake from Bean from a Wilson throw allowed Pritchard to advance and strike a fierce effort that forced Walker into a fine save.

From the corner, Pritchard then sent in a low cross that Wilson blocked and was pleased to see it roll just past the post.

Town were having a good spell and Walker was on hand on 28 minutes as Byrne sent over a low cross into the six yard box. The U’s keeper tipped the ball away with Smith ready to tap home.

Watt was the first to go into the book just after the half hour mark, for cutting down the run of Thompson down the right.

Having had to ride that Swindon pressure, the U’s earned a couple of corners after good play from Vose, although they were unable to test Foderingham.

Town finished the half strongly, although they had to do without Ranger in the second half, as the forward limped off after pulling his hamstring making a bursting run through the middle.

He was to be replaced by debutant Jacob Murphy, on loan from the U’s East Anglian neighbours Norwich.

The game was goalless at the break, but the U’s, battling against the wind, started the second half brightly.

Chances were at a premium though, so much so that neither keeper had to make a save in the first fifteen after the interval.

The U’s made their first change after twenty minutes of the second half, as Sears came on for Vose for the remainder of the match.

However, the U’s were under pressure for the last twenty minutes of the game when Watt saw red with a moment of madness which saw him come together with Nathan Thompson.

The U’s man was given a straight red, whilst Thompson was given a yellow for his part in the incident.

The visitors, watched by their loyal supporters, were defending manfully and got to the last ten minutes with their goal in tact.

And the U's stood strong to pick up a valuable point despite five minutes of injury time.

Sears went into the book for a foul on 87 minutes but Pritchard lifted his free kick well over the bar, before Byrne also volleyed one just wide.

Advertisement block