Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Extend Good Form

18 January 2014

4-2 victory at Brunton Park.

The U's have won 4-2 at Carlisle to extend their recent good run of form that has seen them move into the top half of the table.

Two goals in each half saw the U's gain the three points, making the long journey home very bearable.

Sanchez Watt scored both first half goals, with a Magnus Okuonghae own goal seeing the half time score 2-1 to the U's.

Marcus Bean and an own goal made it 4-1 before Ehmer reduced the arrears in injury time.

Boss Joe Dunne unsurprisingly stuck with the same eleven that  had demolished Gillingham seven days earlier and they won another three points in Cumbria.
It was the U’s who had the better of things in the very early stages, but their good possession didn't produce any chances.

The first chances of the game all came from the home side, with Sam Walker having to make a smart save at his near post from Lawrence.

He was then right behind a Buaben shot in the tenth minute before a Miller header flew over the U’s bar three minutes later.

Somewhat against the run of play, the U’s went ahead on seventeen minutes, with Sanchez Watt scoring for the second game in a row.

Craig  Eastmond found Marcus Bean in midfield and Bean moved the ball further left to the former Arsenal winger, who was still forty yards from goal.

He strode forward, cut inside and then outside, and unleashed a low strike across Fleming into the far corner from the apex of the penalty area.

The lead only lasted a minute though, as a wide free kick was whipped into the area, where Magnus Okuonghae could only divert it into his own net, under pressure from Miller.

The next goalmouth action didn’t come until just after the half hour mark, with Walker saving a Lawrence shot, after the Carlisle winger had cut inside onto his right foot.

Okuonghae then did extremely well to get to the ball first from a dangerous cross, heading clear with two home forwards ready to pounce.

Walker also denied the hosts, tipping over an Amoo header on forty minutes.

Bang on forty five minutes, the U’s went ahead for the second time as Watt also got his second of the game.

It was a gift for Watt, as a ball was rolled across the six yard box by Berrett, who found neither a defender or his keeper and Watt took it round Fleming and rolled it into the empty net.

Carlisle had edged things in the first half but the U’s went in for the half time break a goal ahead.

Alex Gilbey replaced David Wright at the break, with the U’s looking to win away from home for the third time this season.

The home side went looking for an equaliser early in the second half and David Amoo was at the centre of their efforts.

First the former Liverpool winger created a chance that Berrett should have converted and then he forced Walker into tipping an effort over the bar.

Full back Matty Robson got forward on the hour but saw his drilled left foot shot whistle just wide of the far post.

Three minutes later, Marcus Bean’s deflected shot looped over keeper Fleming but fortunately for the hosts, looped over the bar as well.

On sixty eight minutes, the U’s midfielder again got into a scoring position and this time converted at the far post.

The referee deemed it a foul on Craig Eastmond wide on the U’s left, resulting in Luke Garbutt setting up the free kick.

With Carlisle tallest defenders taken up with Eastman, Okuonghae and Morrison, Bean cleverly found space at the back stick.

He was too strong for his marker and headed into the net to give the U’s a 3-1 lead and some breathing space.

On seventy minutes, Morrison was replaced by Jabo Ibehre, who returned to the squad after missing the Gillingham win through injury.

He had only been on for four minutes when the U’s extended their lead, thanks to an own goal from Ehmer.

Dominic Vose got in down the right, drilled a low cross in and like Okuonghae in the first half, the Carlisle defender had to get to the ball first but could only divert it past his own keeper.

A tiny bit of gloss was taken off the win in the final seconds, as a Lawrence free kick rebounded off Walker’s chest and Ehmar sidefooted home to make it 4-2.

While the U’s hadn’t been at their fluent best, it was a job well done away from home and three points to add to the total.

Advertisement block