Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Battle Back For Win

26 July 2014

U's grab the goals for a 4-3 victory.

Both teams had early sights of goal, but Kent nipped in to deny Chambers before Cousins showed strong hands to deny Watt’s rising shot.

They will want to tighten up at the back, but there's still plenty to be positive about with the season two weeks away.

Boss Joe Dunne will have been pleased to get Jabo Ibehre and Sanchez Watt out on the pitch again and the team continued their free scoring ways in pre-season.

The Daggers had impressed with their flowing football, but the U's played some great stuff of their own to fight back and pick up a useful victory.

The U's staged a dramatic fightback at Dagenham on Saturday as they came from two goals down to win 4-3 in an open encounter in East London.

The former U’s stopper then denied Vose, whose trickery saw him work some space before driving in a low shot to the near post.

It was a wide open start to the game, and the game unsurprisingly got a goal after just six minutes. Craig Eastmond took time to set himself for a shot, but his effort was blocked into the path of Bonne who calmly finished from just inside the box.

The home side were level nine minutes later.

Lewington had pulled off one fantastic reaction stop to deny Saah from a Dagenham corner. The ball was eventually cleared by Kent for another set piece and this time Agogo rose highest to power home a header.

It came in the midst of a decent spell for the home team, whose energy was making it harder for the U’s to settle on the ball.

The U’s got the next chance of the game on 24 minutes as Vose whipped in a dangerous cross that Ambrose couldn’t quite meet with a glancing header.

Daggers returned the favour as they got a ball in from their right, which Hemmings used to force a good save out of the keeper.

Porter was next to go close, breaking through two tackles before firing over the bar from the right hand side with an effort that Lewington was happy to leave.

Daggers moved the ball around nicely in the centre of the pitch and one flowing move saw the ball crossed across the six yard box, with Chambers unlucky not to meet it with a diving header.

At the other end, the U’s had a chance of their own as a ball was floated into the box and, on the stretch, Vose volleyed just wide.

However, they found themselves behind just before half time. They were robbed of the ball in midfield and Chambers sent over another cross, which this time Hemmings powered home.

The visitors almost got level straight after the restart, as a ball dropped to Bonne in space in the box, but he pulled his volley wide of the far post.

It was a bright start from the U’s after the break, but Chambers went close on 54 minutes as another intricate Dagenham move ended with the forward pulling his shot wide.

The Daggers then extended their advantage on the hour mark as the dangerous Chambers took aim from distance and drilled a fantastic shot past Lewington and into the back of the net.

The U’s reduced the advantage to one with 25 minutes still to go as Vose whipped in a free kick from the right that fizzed across goal and found the far top corner.

And they could have had an instant equaliser as Gordon got in down the left and sent in a low cross to Bonne, but he miscued his shot and it was blocked by the Daggers defence.

But the U’s did get level on 77 minutes. Vose took aim from over 35 yards and let fly with an unbelievable strike that roared past O’Brien and into the net for 3-3.

A minute later, they were ahead. Moncur had a shot that was deflected and it fell nicely into the path of Ibehre who had snuck around the back and he stabbed home from five yards out.

They then went close again as the ball was laid into the path of Bonne and, turning on a sixpence, he lifted his effort just over the bar.

Daggers had a chance as the ball fell to Goldberg in the box, but he stabbed his effort wide when well placed as the game drew to a conclusion.

However, the U's held firm and picked up a morale boosting win from a position where they were two behind.

Advertisement block