Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Draw At Luton Town

29 July 2014

Another good test for U's.

The U's have drawn 2-2 at Luton Town in their latest pre-season game.

The home side went ahead on twenty five minutes but it only took the U’s three minutes to get back level.

A raking diagonal pass from Eastman found Massey on the right and after cutting inside the full back, Massey’s shot was saved.

Ibehre’s rebound effort looked to be going wide but it hit Connolly and flew into the back of the net.

And it was Ibehre who put the U's 2-1 ahead early in the second half, when he slid low and clipped his effort past the keeper and into the back of the net.

Former U's midfielder Luke Guttridge made it 2-2, after Sean Clohessy had misjudged a cross from the right.

It was another good test for Dunne’s squad, as he shapes his squad ahead of the league season starting in eleven days.

The opening minutes saw the ball predominantly in the middle third of the pitch, with the home side happy to let the U’s keep possession in front of them.

A through ball was collected by Justham in the home goal on six minutes and a Drey Wright cross flashed across the box five minutes later.

The home side were having their fair share of things though, and Franks hit the U’s post with a downward header from a free kick wide out on the right.

A shot from winger Balanta flew over the U’s bar on sixteen minutes, with the home side getting more confident against the team a league higher than them.

A breakaway chance came for the U’s next though, with Walker’s long throw finding Freddie Sears in space on the left. 

Sears immediately spotted Wright’s run but the youngster was denied by a great save by the legs of Justham.

On twenty five minutes, the home side went ahead, with Cullen firing a shot home with the outside of his right foot.

Walker had to make a diving save to deny Lafayette but when the ball was drilled back into the box, Lafayette controlled it into Cullen’s path for his fellow forward to do the rest.

It only took the U’s three minutes to get back on level terms though, thanks to an own goal from Paul Connolly.

A raking pass from Tom Eastman found Massey and the U’s wideman cleverly cut inside the full back before being denied by a good save.

The rebound fell to Ibehre and his shot looked to be going wide until Connolly intervened and deflected it past his own keeper.

It was another good test for Dunne and his squad, with another game on Wednesday at Bishop's Stortford.

Moncur also tested the keeper with a right foot shot but neither team could find a late winner.

The game ended with both sides looking for a winner, with the home side wasting a free kick just out side the box and the U's putting Luton under pressure with a couple of corners.

Dunne made three substitutions at this point, bringing on Szmodics, Bonne and Lapslie for Ibehre, Sears and Eastmond.

A cross was whipped into the area and an uneven bounce caught Clohessy out and the ball bounced over him to Guttridge, who fired low past Walker.

Halfway through the second period, the home side levelled things up, with former U's midfielder Luke Guttridge applying the finish.

Seconds later, the home side were on the attack but the shot from the edge of the penalty area was straight at Walker and easily dealt with.

Despite having to slide to get to the ball first, Ibehre managed to flick his shot over the diving Justham and into the empty net.

The powerful forward showed a deft touch to thigh the ball down to Sears, who put a through ball towards the edge of the box.

The first effort of the half results in the U's taking the lead, with Jabo Ibehre on target.

Dunne made two changes at the start of the second half, bringing on Sanchez Watt and Dominic Vose in place of Drey Wright and Gavin Massey.

The final chance of the half fell to Wright, after Sears and Ibehre combined to find him on the left, but his shot was straight at Justham and caused no real problems.

Advertisement block