Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Win At Heybridge

15 July 2014

Attacking prowess too good for non-leaguers.

The U's have beaten Heybridge Swifts 8-0 in their second pre-season friendly.

Three goals in the first twenty minutes, from Freddie Sears, George Moncur and David Wright, got the U's off to  a great start against their non-league opposition.

Sears got his second, and the U's fourth, with a stunning free-kick on the half hour after Ben Gordon was fouled just outside the box. 

Massey made it five after fifty eight minutes, before Vose and Ibehre added two more in the space of a minute.
Ibehre got one more on full time to make it eight, in a game where the U's attacking prowess was too good for Heybridge.

First Half Team: Walker, Clohessy, Okuonghae, Kent, Gordon, Wright, Moncur, Wright, Sears, Watt, Holman.

The U’s started the game with real intent, and Freddie Sears was instrumental in everything they did in the early stages.

It only took him a minute to have his first sight of goal, shooting just wide from Magnus Okuonghae’s pull back.

His turn and shot went just over the Heybridge bar, with both early efforts not troubling the U’s keeper Chris Lewington who was deputising until the Heybridge keeper arrived at Scraley Road.

The Heybridge stopper was straight into action, saving from the lively Sears in the eighth minute.

Drey Wright and George Moncur failed to put the U’s on the scoresheet but Sears did get the U’s going on sixteen minutes.

Sanchez Watt, Ben Gordon and Drey Wright were involved in the move and Sears shot high into the net for 1-0.

The U’s fans in attendance didn’t have to wait long for the second and third goals, with Moncur and David Wright scoring.

Sears and Watt set up Moncur for a close range sidefoot before Wright headed home from a Dan Holman cross.

As the U’s continued to dominate, Sears and Holman shot straight at the home keeper but the fourth goal came on the half hour.

Ben Gordon got clear on the left but was fouled just before he reached the edge of the penalty area.

Sears stepped up and put his inch perfect free kick into the top corner.

On thirty five minutes, Sam Walker had his first involvement, saving from Lee Boylan.

The Heybridge forward should have scored from the resultant corner, but shot high over the bar after the ball dropped to him ten yards out.

A long range effort at each end finished the first half, a half that the U’s unsurprisingly dominated.

Second Half Team: Lewington, Olufemi, Thompson, Eastman, O’Donoghue, Gilbey, Eastmond, Massey, Szmodics, Vose, Ibehre.

The second half started a bit quieter in terms of goal scoring efforts, but the U's turned the screw after settling in.

The U's attacking play was impressive against the non-leaguers and they move onto AFC Sudbury on Thursday night. 

Ibehre had the final word, scoring right on full time to make it 8-0.

O'Donoghue was denied after a great run down the left, before Vose shot wide from the resultant corner.

Boylan, the home side's most dangerous player, struck a free kick high over the bar in a rare Heybridge attack, with the U's regaining control for the final ten minutes.

A run from Michael O'Donoghue led to the ball coming back off the post, before Szmodics and Vose were denied by the home keeper.

Jabo Ibehre quickly made it seven, as he lifted his shot over the advancing keeper, with over twenty minutes still on the clock.

A great individual effort from Dominic Vose made it six on sixty seven minutes, dribbling past four defenders before calmly sidefooting his shot low into the bottom corner.

The fifth goal came from Heybridge losing possession, with Gavin Massey collecting the loose ball and slotting into the near post after beating the last defender.

Advertisement block