Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bantams Take The Points

11 March 2014

Goal in each half sends U's to defeat.

They had started the game the brighter in the first fifteen minutes and looked like they might carry on from where they left off against Coventry, but conceded a goal in each half to fall to defeat against Bradford City.

After an impressive victory at the weekend, Colchester fielded the same eleven, but ended up with a very different result.The Bantams took the lead through James Hanson after quarter of an hour and held on to double their lead midway through the second half when Kyle Bennett beat Sam Walker from a tight angle.

Colchester started the game on a positive note with the better of possession and the early chances but to no avail.

David Wright was on the end of some fantastic play when Clinton Morrison dummied a pass to Marcus Bean who flicked the ball into the box for Wright to attack but his header was tame.

Following his goal on Saturday Freddie Sears looked full of confidence but spurned two good chances both of which ended up over the bar. 

Having failed to take advantage of their early domination the U’s were typically punished as Bradford asserted themselves on the game with fifteen minutes gone.

On the Bantams first effort on goal Nathan Doyle forced a good low save from Sam Walker, but the next effort would put the away side ahead.

Just moments later Bradford won a corner which would create the opening goal. Top scorer James Hanson rose to meet Mathew Dolan’s corner and header home for his 12th goal of the season.

Colchester looked deflated after the goal with Bradford looking fully in control. Aaron McLean was causing a handful for the U’s defence and prompted Walker into two decent saves.

At the other end U’s created chances on the counter but efforts from Gavin Massey and David Wright failed to test Jon McLaughlin in goal.

A big mistake from Ryan Dickson gifted the Bantams a late chance as Kyle Bennett robbed the defender and fed McLean through on goal, but the finish was poor and well wide of goal.

U’s made it into the half just a goal down and came out with a Craig Eastmond replacing Wright in the heart of midfield.

Bradford picked up where they left off and almost doubled their lead from a free kick. Dolan lofted a ball into the box which Andrew Davies headed just inches wide of the post.

In form Tom Eastman had a moment to forget as just massively under hit his backpass, fortunately Walker was alert to clear the ball away from the chasing McLean.

However the relief was short-lived as Bennett put the Bantams two up just minutes later. After receiving the ball from a throw he burst past two defenders to thunder the ball in from a tight angle.

Colchester responded well and looked to have pulled a goal back but referee Whitestone instead booked Bean who was deemed to have handled the ball on its way in.

U’s continued to push on and again came close as Magnus Okounghae acrobatically put the ball into the danger area but Doyle was on hand to clear the ball.

Despite Colchester’s possession, Bradford still looking dangerous on the break with Walker having to keep out Adam Reach next. U’s responded with subs Macauley Bonne and returning Alex Gilbey.

The Bantams slowed the tempo of the game in the remaining stages as they looked to sit and protect their two goal lead. 

An audacious long shot from Gilbey was a rare highlight, although easily caught by McLaughlin in the Bradford goal.
An end to end last five minutes ensued but despite the U’s best efforts Bradford finished the game with all three points leaving Colchester in 17th after the latest home fixture.

Advertisement block