Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Magpies Grab The Points

29 March 2014

U's have plenty of chances but are defeated this time.

The U's do still have space between themselves and the bottom four, but know that the game in hand v Peterborough and the home game against Tranmere will be important fixtures.

But the Magpies did find the back of the net with that brace of opportunities and whilst the U's had other, less clear cut, chances after the break, County held on to record an important three points.

Had you missed those two crucial moments in the opening forty-five, you would have been astonished to hear that the U's trailed after a dominant first half performance that was not rewarded with goals of their own.
A goal at either end of the first half left the U's licking their wounds again on Saturday afternoon, as Notts County climbed out of the bottom four with all three points.

The U's made three changes to their starting eleven for the visit to Meadow Lane. Brian Wilson returned at right back in place of Alie Sesay, whilst Marcus Bean and Freddie Sears came in for Craig Eastmond and Gavin Massey.

Joe Dunne's men found themselves behind early on again, this time after four minutes. The ball was allowed to run through to Ronan Murray, who composed himself on the edge of the box to wrong foot Walker and slot home.

The U's had a chance of their own not long afterwards, as Ibehre picked up a loose ball in the corner, and fed it into Sears. He in turn helped it around the corner to Bean, but his chance to shoot was taken away as the ball was nicked off his toes.

They had responded well to going behind and Vose, Sears and Gilbey all had shots blocked in the County box, with Gilbey claiming a penalty as his appeared to hit a County hand.

It was all Col U in fact and next Gilbey lifted a good effort over the bar when well placed after more good work from Ibehre, before Sears crashed another shot off the post after great work from Vose.

Hollis headed one wide for the home side before normal service resumed. A swift attack saw Gilbey slotted in by Sears and he forced a good low save out of Bialkowski.

From the resulting corner kick, it was played to Dickson, whose cross eluded everyone and forced the Notts keeper to tip it onto the bar and over.

Ibehre headed into the arms of Bialkowski, but the U's somehow found themselves two down at the break.

A set piece from Sheehan was swung in from the U's right hand side and Hollis rose highest to head it into the far side netting.

It was almost three just after the interval, as Murray hit a shot from an acute angle that forced Walker to tip it over the bar.

The home side were well on top after the restart, so the U's made their first change ten minutes into the second half, as Massey came on for Bean.

It quelled the Magpies' early second half pressure and, after Wright had fired well over from another Ibehre knock down, Morrison was introduced for Vose for the final half an hour.

The U's were next to go close, with the ball being flicked into the danger area, with Sears reacting first. Under pressure from Sheehan, he could only stab it over the bar, with Bialkowski helpless.

Massey was the next to fire well over, as the U's sought a pathway back into the game with twenty minutes to go.

Dickson's miscued fre kick almost caught out Bialkowski, who recovered as he tipped the ball over the bar.

Eastmond replaced Gilbey with the U's last change of the game, as time started to run out for Joe Dunne's men.

Hollis was in the right place to block Ibehre's effort on the edge of the box, before a long range Massey drive was comfortably held.

Next, Morrison had an effort deflected just wide, but the first goal of the game just wouldn't come for the U's.

Eastmond then tried his luck with a long range fizzer. It was straight at Bialkowski, who took no chances as he punched over.

At the other end, a rare County chance saw Liddle head straight at Walker from eight yards out.

Four additional minutes of time were announced but the U's couldn't find their way back into the game.

The U's were again left to lick wounds, but will be pleased that other results went their way to keep it in their favour in the lower reaches of the League One table.

Advertisement block