Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/03/2014

22 March 2014

The U's found their goalscoring boots in the last fifteen minutes against Bristol City to battle back and pick up a crucial point against the Robins.

Early goals in each half had put the Robins’ ahead but the U’s never gave up and two goals in six minutes including a wonder goal from Freddie Sears completed a great comeback.

Having collected a crucial three points against Shrewsbury earlier this week, U’s were caught on the back foot in this one and found themselves behind early on.

Bristol City who were in impressive form before the game, gave Colchester the worst possible start with an early goal through Martin Paterson.

The play was created by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who raced to the byline driving a low cross into the feet of Paterson; the midfielder dispatched his shot out of Sam Walker’s reach put City ahead.

Within just a few minutes of the restart Emmanuel-Thomas had his own chance to score as Derrick Williams picked him out just a few yards in front of goal but the shot was fired well over the bar.

U’s looked to respond through Alex Gilbey but his two efforts on goal brought no equaliser with the second well saved and tipped over by Frank Fielding.

Some good play between Gavin Massey and Sanchez Watt put the latter through on goal but as he mishit whilst trying to use the outside of his boot the shot was easily collected by Fielding.

At the other end Sam Walker had to twice repel efforts from the Robins as Emmanuel-Thomas and Baldock both tested the U’s keeper.

As the half opened up it was soon U’s with the next chance when Dom Vose crossed to Jabo Ibehre, the Colchester top scorer was unchallenged but directed his header wide.

Just as the half looked to be over, City had one last chance as Baldock beat the U’s defence and unselfishly passed to Emmanuel-Thomas, who again missed with his shot curling well wide.

The wait for a second Robins’ goal however was over quickly, as the second half kicked off it was another early goal which punished the U’s.

Brendan Moloney’s cross looked to be caught by Walker but a fumble was quickly capitalized on by Scott Wagstaff as he looped the ball back over the Walker to double the away side’s lead.

Joe Dunne wasted no time in a response, replacing Watt with Freddie Sears in attack. The Robins also made a change of their own with Wade Elliott making way for Stephen Pearson.

Sears involved quickly, after hitting an air shot a few minutes before, the striker with a lobbed effort put Fielding at full stretch to tip the ball over.

The U’s continued to pressure the Robins defence and with just under twenty minutes to play Gavin Massey gave Colchester a lifeline as he pulled a goal back.

Ibehre played Marcus Bean down the right flank, his low driven cross into the box was met  by Massey who turned the ball past Fielding.

Only six minutes later and U’s had completed the two goal comeback with a sensational goal from the sub Freddie Sears, he beat his man and drilled a fantastic shot into the corner from 20 yards.

With momentum on their side the inspired U’s looked destined for a third, and winning goal and sub Macauley Bonne came painfully close when his header grazed the cross bar in injury time.

The game finished a score-draw, as it did in Bristol earlier in the season with the teams sharing the spoils after an impressive comeback from the U’s. 

Advertisement block