Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18s Earn Derby Clash

15 November 2014

U's fight back from behind to earn Ipswich game.

The Robins had that early lead when they worked the ball across the area, and Goodwin turned back inside to strike a low shot.

They had created chances throughout the opening period, but a quick fire double in the second half with goals from Louis Dunne and Joel Atkin ensured safe passage to that big game against the Tractor Boys.

Like the first team the night before, they fell behind after just three minutes, but fought back in some style after the break.

Colchester United's U18s earned themselves an East Anglian derby in the Third Round of the FA Youth Cup as they fought back from behind to beat Cheltenham Town.

He mishit his effort, but Thompson, who had been involved earlier on in the move, was on hand to slot home past Robinson, who got a hand to it.

The U’s looked to find a way back into the game and a well worked corner routine on seven minutes ended with Harrison firing straight into the arms of Tetek in the Cheltenham goal.

The home side almost drew level on 12 minutes when the dangerous Brown got to the byline and drove in a cross that central defender Rowe sliced inches over his own bar.

The U’s had settled after that earlier setback, but the visitors were lively on the counter attack throughout the opening twenty minutes.

In fact, the clearer cut chances continued to be created by the home side and on 29 minutes, Dunne cut back inside to fire in a shot that the keeper fended away at full length.

Despite all that pressure, the visitors almost doubled their advantage nine minutes before half time. Goalscorer Thompson worked his way across the edge of the box before firing in a shot that cannoned down off the bar but not over the line.

The U’s continued to press through the first half, but found Tetek as an obstacle more often than not.

The Robins took their lead into half time and almost made it two four minutes after the restart. Robinson’s clearance went straight to Thompson but Stephens was on hand to block the low shot with the keeper out of position.

The U’s got level two minutes later. Brampton had been growing in influence as the game went on and skipped past his man to deliver a dangerous cross.

Dunne was waiting at the far post and he arched his back to reach the ball and power a header home past Tetek.

The U’s then got their noses in front just three minutes later. Brown escaped the offside trap and squared a ball to Atkin in the box. He was felled and picked himself up to send Tetek the wrong way to make it 2-1.

They nearly made it three on 62 minutes. Brown managed to wriggle free of his defender to bear down on goal, but Tetek stood up well to fend away his shot.

The visitors had a spell of pressure after that as the half reached its midway point but, despite that, it was the U’s who went close next.

The ball was worked across the goal and Dunne took his time before getting his shot away, only to find Robins captain Rowe in the way as he cleared off the line.

After a couple of missed chances by Cheltenham’s dangerman Thompson, the U’s thought they had got a third when Atkin bravely dived to head home, but he was denied by the linesman’s flag.

They helped the U's see the game out despite some late Cheltenham pressure, and ensure that Wayne Brown's men set up an exciting Third Round clash v Ipswich.

The home side made two changes with seven minutes remaining as the livewire Brown and goalscorer Atkin were replaced by Khristopher Oti and Aaron Cosgrave.

Advertisement block