Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Massey At The Double

11 October 2014

First home victory lifts team to 16th.

The U's had played more fluently this season, but this was a victory that came out of determination to ensure they got something from the match.

Both goals came from Gavin Massey, with a fine finish in both halves to give the U's a very useful three points.

After a bright start, they fell behind, but kept their heads to fight back with two moments of brilliance.

The U's fought back from behind on Saturday to record their first home win and leap up to 16th in the League One table.

The U’s made two changes to their last league eleven, with Elliott Hewitt and David Fox coming into the starting side.

It was a quiet opening to the game, but there were hints early on of the U’s getting into their passing groove.

First Fox curled a shot just past the post with Maxwell a full stretch, before Watt’s free kick just eluded Kent’s outstretched boot at the far upright.

That good work was undone on 18 minutes though, as a long ball over the top caught out the U’s. McAlinden nipped in between Kent and Walker and lobbed it into the empty net to give the visitors the lead.

The U’s were knocked out of their stride by the goal, with the visitors having the better of it after taking the lead.

They had a chance on 37 minutes when the ball was played out to Massey, but his effort was always heading wide of the post.

But they did draw level just before half time.

It was a fantastic pass from Sears to the far post, and Massey surged onto it to firmly side foot home a low volley past Maxwell.

The visitors almost got their noses in front shortly after the restart as, from a corner, Proctor rose highest to head just over the bar.

At the other end, Sears almost put the U’s in front for the first time, but his low shot was just blocked by the legs of Maxwell.

Moncur was the next to go close, hitting a first time snap volley which Maxwell did well to get down and block at his near post.

After a quiet period in the game, the U’s made their first change midway through the second half, as Drey Wright replaced Watt.

But it was the winger on the other side that got the U’s in front with fourteen minutes remaining. 

Massey was presented with the ball on the edge of the box and bent a fine effort into the top corner to make it 2-1.

They almost made it three when Massey turned provider on 80 minutes. He slid it to Wright, who shot inches wide of the post.

The U’s then went close again, as Wright turned on the after burners on a counter attack, with his low cross not quite finding a full connection from Sears.
Szmodics replaced Moncur for the last five minutes, as the U’s looked to see out the game.

But they saw out injury time to climb the table and make things look a great deal more rosey.

They were thankful to Walker, who pulled off a fine full length save from Schumacher’s free kick and it was a nervy conclusion for the U’s.

Advertisement block