Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Owls Take The Win

13 October 2014

Injury concerns on top of defeat.

The U's U21s have been beaten 5-0 by Sheffield Wednesday.

The visitors were one goal ahead at half time, but ran in four in the second period to go back to South Yorkshire with all three points.

Kevin Lokko and Dominic Vose were two victims and Drey Wright's exit left the U's with ten men after all three substitutions had been made.

The scoreline wasn’t the whole of the bad news, as three players limped off.

The game started at a frenetic pace and the U’s had the first sight of goal early on, but Drey Wright couldn't keep his shot from distance under the crossbar.

Michael O’Donoghue then got forward from left back with good effect but his low cross was well dealt with at the near post by McDonagh in the visitors’ goal.

A clash on fifteen minutes saw Kevin Lokko leave the pitch with blood streaming from a cut on his forehead.

He was replaced by Tyler Brampton. Who went to right back with Kane Vincent-Young moving inside to centre half.
Wright had another shooting chance on nineteen minutes, but repeated his earlier effort, hitting his shot well over the bar.

Halfway through the first period, the visitors went ahead, with indecisive defending costly the young U’s.

A lobbed through ball wasn’t dealt with and Betra controlled and drilled past Bransgrove to open the scoring.

Tom Lapslie was denied a quick equaliser, as good defending cleared the danger from a left wing cross before it could reach the U’s midfielder.

The U’s went closer to a leveller on forty two minutes, with Drey Wright clipping the outside of the post after a great run forward from Vincent-Young.

Wright, Szmodics and Bonne all had efforts during injury time in the first half, but McDonagh wasn’t troubled and the half time whistle went with the Owls leading 1-0.

A minute into the second half, the U’s went close once more, as Dominic Vose sneaked in at the far post but shot narrowly wide.

It proved costly, as a minute later the visitors doubled their lead.

A great move involving a number of one touch passing ended with Meadows rounding Bransgrove and slotting into the empty net.

Byron Lawrence continued the trend of the opening fifty minutes for the U’s, shooting over the crossbar from distance.

Bransgrove had to make a decent save on fifty eight minutes, saving low at the near post from full back Young.

On the hour, Jack Curtis replaced Lawrence, as the U’s looked for a way back into the game.

Kane Vincent-Young was looking dangerous going forward from his right back position, but shot straight at the keeper after one good run.

Seven minutes later, Vose went down in a challenge and was replaced by Dominic Smith.

The goal of the game came on seventy three minutes, as Havilland volleyed home from the angle after a corner found him lurking at the far post.

A Drey Wright run and shot ended with the U’s winger grounded, and he was helped off injured, leaving the U’s down to ten men having used all three of their subs.

Meadows struck a fourth on eighty one minutes and sub Penney rubbed salt in the wounds on ninety minutes to make the final score 5-0 to Wednesday.

Advertisement block