Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Fight Back Again

21 October 2014

U's pick up another win with two great goals.

It moved the U's up to a season high of fourteenth and they've picked up fifteen points in nine games under their new manager.

Healey got the U's level minutes after his introduction, before Freddie Sears continued his red hot season with another first class strike to take all three points.

And, once again, it was two cracking goals that gave the U's the win, as Rhys Healey's introduction at half time changed the game in the home side's favour.

Colchester United players were comeback kings for the third game running on Tuesday night as they fought back from behind to win 2-1 against Chesterfield. A bitterly cold and windy night under the floodlights saw a nightmare start for Tony Humes’ side as within a minute they were a goal down and minus defender Frankie Kent through injury.

U’s favourite Tom Eastman was celebrating a 23rd birthday but there would be no clean sheet to mark the occasion, as Colchester conceded after just a minute gone in the game.

When the ball struck Kent in the face, Sam Clucas capitalized and raced through on goal with just Sam Walker to beat and thanks to placed shot around the keeper Chesterfield had an early lead.

Meanwhile Kent remained on the ground, as he had since impact of the ball. Despite the head injury no decision from the referee stopped the Spireites from continuing through on goal and scoring.

Paramedics saw to the young centre half and after being stretchered off Magnus Okuonghae made his return to the team in the centre of defence.

Colchester worked hard to pull back the early deficit but despite a fair bit of attacking possession few chances were created, with a tame George Moncur shot as Tommy Lee’s only test in goal.

The half soon developed into a really gritty affair as U’s harassed the Chesterfield defence but never looked like scoring, with the away side quick to counter and hit the ball long given the chance.

Five minutes of injury time ensued for the incident involving Kent but again goal mouth action was scarce. The lack of creativity prompted a half time change with Rhys Healey replacing Moncur. 

Only four minutes in the change from Tony Humes paid off with the striker levelling the scores thanks to fluent passing play from Gavin Massey and Sanchez Watt, before a neat finish of his own.

The goal gave the game a new lease of life with some early spells of end to end football, Watt pinged a shot just wide before Ollie Banks scuffed the ball at Walker from a dangerous position.

Colchester’s attacking players were now causing all sorts of problems to the Spireites defence and the goal scorer Healey nearly doubled his tally.

After beating the offside trap and racing through on goal the striker placed his shot just wide the far post under massive pressure from the chasing Tendayi Darikwa and on rushing keeper Lee.

The momentum was in favour of U’s with only last ditch defending and some sweeper-keeping from Lee needed to deny Colchester a second goal. 

But as the game ran into its final minutes Colchester conjured up a play that no Chesterfield player was stopping, giving U’s a deserved lead.

Man of the match Massey picked out Sears on the edge of the box and the striker turned on the spot, instinctively shooting up and into the top corner of Lee’s net.

The goal was Sears’ eighth in sixteen appearances this season, and following some late pressure from the Spireites it was enough to give Colchester a superb home win.

Advertisement block