Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 20/09/2014

20 September 2014

Humes' men did manage to keep a third clean sheet in four, however, as signs of improvement continue. 

The U's vibrant attacking play continued from Tuesday night but they couldn't quite find a path past Jordan Pickford in what was another good performance under Tony Humes. 

It was everything but the goal for the U's on Saturday as they picked up a useful point against Bradford City.  After the mayhem of Tuesday night Colchester faced a different challenge against Bradford City, as the away side looked set on defending and countering, allowing U’s lots of time on the ball. 

Craig Eastmond, who was back in starting eleven in place of injured Sammie Szmodics did well to win a free kick in a dangerous position after dispossessing Gary Liddle and dribbling through on goal.

The challenge from Liddle was followed up by a booking before Sanchez Watt lined up for the set piece. Perfectly placed but lacking power the shot was easily dealt with by Jason Pickford.

On the attack again Eastmond found George Moncur who after flicking the ball up cleverly half volleyed a shot aimed for the top corner, Pickford again saved but had to be at his best to tip wide.

Tenacious Freddie Sears was next to test the Bradford goal as he stole the ball from Rory McArdle on the byline, from the tight angle a fizzing shot was on target but not enough to beat Pickford.

Sears nicks the ball off of Rory McArdle on the byline and turns in on goal as he did against Leyton Orient, the shot is too hot to handle but Pickford eventually collects.

In defence Frankie Kent continued to fill in for suspended captain Magnus Okuonghae and made an important block in front of goal, before being clattered by Sam Walker during the resulting corner.

The Bantams deep defensive line was frustrating U’s and it took a clever dinked ball from Alex Gilbey to create the next chance as Watt received, a deflection on his shot however relieved the danger.

The half came to close following one last chance for Sears, with men to his left he opted to shoot and blasted the side netting, leaving the game goalless at the break.

Bradford came out with more attacking intent and in the opening minutes Mark Yeates had Walker diving down to his right to keep a low shot out. 

Aaron McLean was next to force Walker into a save when he latched onto a corner set piece at the back post, his standing header though lacked power and was a let off for U’s.

Following some wasted chances, Sears looked to have finally scored when Massey slipped him through on goal, his shot tucked under the on-rushing Pickford but Stephen Darby was alert to block on the line. 

Colchester’s impressive attacking performance mirrored that of the last two games, but matched by Bradford’s defending the game seemed destined for a deadlock. 

The pressure from U’s continued to mount as efforts from Tom Eastman and Eastmond came close, a top challenge denied Watt another chance after Moncur set him up inside the box.

As the game entered its final stages it really opened up allowing U’s more space in behind Bradford’s defence, Watt made a break down the left wing but a fierce shot only hit the side netting. 

Drey Wright made his welcome return to first time action, replacing Massey out wide in the closing minutes. It was Sears again though who had the late chance to win the game for Colchester.

As Moncur played the ball in front the Bradford City box, Sears opened up his body a pinged a low shot towards the bottom corner, Pickford couldn’t hold the shot but eventually cleared. 

Colchester pushed City all the way and never found the goal they deserved, a third clean sheet in four games for Sam Walker, but still no home victory. It must come soon!

Advertisement block