Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Late Goal Denies U's

18 April 2015

More late heartbreak for Humes' men.

They remain in the bottom four with three games to go and know that three points at Fleetwood is a must to keep their hopes alive.

The Iron's second goal was a deflected effort and summed up the U's fortunes at times this season as, after having fought back from one down to lead with two quickfire goals, the three points were ripped out of their hands late on.

Colchester United's hopes of escaping the bottom four were dealt another cruel blow on Saturday afternoon, as Scunthorpe grabbed a late, late equaliser.

Theo Robinson kicked the day's attacking play off when he got in behind the U’s defence and put the ball in the danger area, but as Bongani Khumalo scuffed his clearance Neal Bishop could only clip his shot straight at Walker.
The game had to wait some time before another chance to appear but when one finally did, Brindley had keeper Luke Daniels diving low at his near post to keep out a fierce low shot. 

Minutes later Murphy and Massey looked to be picking up where they left off from the last home game as the former swung in a cross for the latter, the header beat the on-rushing keeper but drifted wide.

Chances were flowing now and it was Scunthorpe who spurned a golden one, top scorer Paddy Madden broke down the right with Gary McSheffrey free for the square ball and over-hit his pass.

Thankfully for the Iron, Robinson was able to put them ahead just moments later, Daniels hit a long ball that found its way to the striker who curled an effort past Walker on the half hour mark.

The half time break left U’s behind but certainly not out of the game, having won from this position in their last home game against Barnsley.

Colchester did come back out with plenty of intent, Jacob Murphy tested Daniels early on before a corner set piece caused havoc in the Scunthorpe box with bodies on the line to block. 

Despite these chances U’s couldn’t make a breakthrough so Tony Humes made his first play replacing Alex Gilbey with Rhys Healey, putting two up top with a goals desperately needed.

A David Fox free kick almost pulled one back, his cross from the left wing position was drilled into the box at chest-height and after some pinball off of bodies the ball glanced just wide of the post.

The U’s continued to pile the pressure on their opponents with a deflected shot from Massey bouncing off of the crossbar before George Moncur blasted a shot well over Daniel’s goal. 

With ten minutes to go U’s got their lifeline, courtesy of a Tom Eastman goal. The defender took down Massey’s corner before half volleying on his weaker foot past a bundle of players. 

Relief for U’s fans soon turned to jubilation with what seemed to be a late winner, Porter latched on to a long free kick and once in the box slotted past Daniels to completely overturn the score.

However the dream finish, was crushed deep into injury time, just as at Gillingham a few weeks ago. Substitute Hakeeb Adelakun’s deflected cross skewed up and over Walker, levelling the scores once again.

It was yet more heartbreak for the U's, but they must pick themselves up and try once more as they go to Fleetwood next week.

Advertisement block