Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/08/2015

8 August 2015

Alex Gilbey and Darren Ambrose both pulled the U's level after they fell behind twice in the game.

Colchester United were left frustrated by a determined Blackpool side as they drew 2-2 on the opening day at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

The game got off to a lively start and the U's should have fell behind after Blackpool striker Jack Redshaw somehow managed to miss two great chances within the opening 15 minutes.

The U's didnt take this warning and fell behind as Mark Cullen tapped the ball home from close range after a cross from Bright Osayi-Samuel.

This goal by Blackpool seemed to spark the U's into life and it took just four minutes for the equaliser to come. Alex Gilbey with an early contender for goal of the season as he rifled a half volley into the top right corner on the net after good work from new signing Joe Edwards. 

This goal seemed to give Colchester the ascendancy as they went on to create several chances during an end to end first half.

Both Chris Porter and Richard Brindley both came close for the U's before Gavin Massey was sent clear of the Blackpool defence by George Moncur but it seemed he almost had too much time and shot straight at Colin Doyle.

This miss before half time proved costly as Blackpool went down the other end and Cullen grabbed his second of the game. Scoring a fierce drive from the edge of the area. The U's could consider themselves a little unlucky to find themselves behind at half time but they were creating chances.

The U's started the second half on the attack again and Joe Edwards nearly bagged his first goal for the club but was unable to get good contact on a shot inside the box. It took Colchester just over 10 minutes to equalise for the second time in the game and it was new signing Darren Ambrose who scored it on his debut.

Gavin Massey had been a threat throughout down the right had side for the U's and he managed to beat his man, drill in a low cross and there was Ambrose to slot it home for his first league goal in three years and his first for the club.

Following the equaliser the U's looked the more likely winners and had several great chances to score.

First a counter attack led by Edwards fell to Moncur in the box but he was unable to beat the keeper and then Massey raced clear for the second time in the game. Massey once again found Doyle in the way leaving both himself and the fans frustrated. 

As the game reached it closing stages both Massey and Moncur had chances to seal a last gasp win for the U's but both saw their shots missing the target. The game finished 2-2 but the U's can be happy with their attacking endeavours in the second half in particular.

Advertisement block