Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Battle Back

29 August 2015

Fightback earns the U's a draw.

Colchester United fought back to pick up a win on Saturday afternoon, to extend their unbeaten run at home.

The U's looked like they had given themselves a mountain to climb when they fell two down early on, but they rallied in the latter part of the first half to pull a goal back through George Moncur.

Half time almost came at the wrong time for the U's as they pressed to get level, but they eventually got their rewards ten minutes from the end of the game, as George Elokobi powered home a header.

The U's are still searching for that first win, but their spirit to get level in the second half will mean that this 2-2 draw with Scunthorpe feels a lot better than the late heartbreak against the same side in April.

After an evenly contested opening stages, the visitors took the lead after seven minutes, with Kevin van Veen stepping up to curl a free kick around the wall and into the bottom corner.

The U's fell further behind eleven minutes later, with a long ball forward catching the home defence out and Paddy Madden kept his calm before slotting home past Elliott Parish.

The goals took the wind out of Colchester sails, but they kept going and got a goal for their efforts twelve minutes before the break.

A Tom Eastman diagonal found Gavin Massey, who darted past his man. He had strong claims for a penalty as he was brought down, but Moncur was on hand to smash home and bring the U's back into it.

The U's finished the half strongly and it seemed like the break would be to Scunthorpe's advantage rather than the home side's.

Tony Humes' men carried on where they left off in the first ten minutes of the second period, but couldn't find the equaliser despite a series of corners - although set pieces were to prove vital later on.

By and large, Parish was untested in the second period bar a couple of long range shots, but it seemed like the experienced Scunthorpe side had seen off the U's threat.

But they reckoned without Elokobi, making his first start since his summer return.

He rose highest with eight minutes to go to power home a header and draw the U's level.

The equaliser saw the two teams step up their intensity in the dying stages of the game, and a Harriott curler was cleared by Wallace as it looked on its way to goal.

Madden drove one wide of the post but neither side could find the winner.

The U's are now eight unbeaten at home, but they'll want that first win soon.

Advertisement block