Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Player Watch: Barnsley

15 December 2015

We take a look at the performances of Marvin Sordell and Callum Harriott.

The home side then conceded after a goal as bottom of the league Barnsley saw Conor Hourihane slot home from a clear shot on target, before Adam Hammill followed on from the building Barnsley momentum to make it 0-2 in the 39th minute.

The first 45 minutes proved to be both quiet and frustrating for the U's, with Marvin and Callum both not seeing enough of the ball, nor being able to find a way through a solid Barnsley defence.

An improved second half performance wasn't quite enough for Colchester United to rescue a point against Barnsley at the weekend.

Kerry Raymond took a look at the performances of Marvin Sordell and Callum Harriott.

It was a different game for the home side after the break, despite Barnsley getting their third of the game from Ivan Toney in the 58th minute, as the introduction of Chris Porter saw the U's step into gear and becoming every bit the dominating team.

The U's applied bags of pressure and plenty of chances to try and claw their way back into the game. Marvin Sordell and Callum Harriott were full of energy and power, pushing forward at every opportunity. 

George Moncur pulled one back in the 67th minute after lovely play from Chris Porter to make it 1-3, as the introduction of the U's captain had a huge impact on the home team's performance.

It didn't take too long for the U's to get their second as man of the match winning Harriott got the assist to set up Porter after bringing the ball down from his chest to volley it off the crossbar and in. 

Powerful Harriott almost got a third for Colchester in the 72nd minute as he charged forward into the box but his effort was just palmed away by Adam Davies.

Fighting through defenders to get into the box Harriott had another shot blocked in the 78th minute before going on to set up Sordell from a deflected shot in the 86th minute, which again was denied by Davies from an incredibly close angle. 

The U's however left themselves too much to do with the clock ticking down to 90 minutes. The game ended 2-3 and Colchester can do nothing but build on their second half performance as they look on to Rochdale away this weekend.

Advertisement block