Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Double The O's

24 January 2015

Crucial win keeps the U's in touch.

The new faces - and the U's fans - played their part in a fifth clean sheet in nine games to give the team a much needed home win.

And it completed the double over the O's under the management of Tony Humes, as the U's moved up a place and kept pace with the teams around them in the quest to stay out of trouble in League One.

For the second time this season, Colchester United beat Leyton Orient 2-0 whilst finishing the game with ten men.
The game saw starts for new signings Chris Porter and Mathew Briggs, along with a start for youngest Tom Lapslie who replaced George Moncur in the heart of midfield.
Despite the troubles at home Colchester had some really positive play from the off, Porter and Szmodics were linking well in attack and Lapslie looked comfortable in front of the defence.

The attacking duo linked up early on when Szmodics drove the ball from his own half to the opposing box under immense pressure, his lay off was met by Porter but Gary Woods was out early to smother the shot. 

A deep free kick floated in from the right by David Fox was again met by Porter who this time headed down to Tom Eastman, but a mass of Orient defenders was enough to block his shot on goal.

As Colchester had struggled to take advantage of early dominance in so many other home games with the first goal, their fortunes finally changed on the fifteen minute mark against Orient. 

Sean Clohessy did brilliantly to make space and put a cross in from the right, Porter was once again highest in the box to get to the ball and the faintest touch off of his head laid the ball back to Massey.

The winger set himself for the shot and emphatically finished as Porter’s knock down reached him, making Massey U’s top scorer in the league with six goals.

As the heavily numbered away fans grew impatient Orient stepped their game up with increasing pressure down the right hand side through recently loan acquisition Ryan Hedges.

The winger from Swansea looked Orient’s best outlet in the half, first testing Sam Walker with a top corner bound shot and then putting a dangerous ball across the face of the goal.

Ex-Colchester man David Mooney fashioned the best chance for his side as a fortunate deflection off of Briggs set him on the edge of the box, his shot however sliced wide of the far post, summing up Orient’s attacking play in the half.

Colchester fans were able to enjoy a rare half time lead at home and just minutes after the restart it got a whole lot better for Humes’ side when they earned an early corner.

Fox’s delivery was matched perfectly by the ghosting run of Kaspars Gorkss who glanced his header past Woods, doubling the lead and earning the experienced Latvian his first goal for U’s.

Barely over the excitement of the second goal U’s fans were back on their feet as Hewitt’s through ball drew Woods out, Porter beat the keeper to the ball but Nathan Clarke made a crucial tackle to deny a certain goal. 

Orient again seemed to kick into gear after conceding and a corner set piece of their own nearly pulled one back, Romain Vincelot dived in at the back post but headed the ball the ball just wide.

The emphasis of attack for Orient shifted to the right in the second half with Dean Cox seeing a lot of the ball and the tricky winger almost created a goal for his side.

Cox squeezed a neat cross onto the head of substitute Gian Vito Plastmati who in turn knocked the ball past Walker in front of the travelling Orient fans, only for the linesman to raise his flag and rule out the goal.

With the game fizzling out into its final minutes referee Heywood saw fit to send Hewitt off with a straight card for a foul in the Orient half, leaving U’s down to 10 men for the remainder.

Impressive resolve from Humes’ men including two late saves from Walker cemented the win which mirrored the reverse fixture with a 2-0 lead and red card for Colchester in each game.

Advertisement block