Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Vital Win For U's

10 January 2015

2-0 victory at Posh.

The U's have won 2-0 at Peterborough with an impressive display at the ABAX Stadium.

The first half finished goalless but the U's showed both determination and quality after the break, as goals from Sears and Hewitt sealed three valuable points.

A late MK Dons equaliser against Crawley meant that the U's were within a point of safety following the win, with two home games to come.

Tony Humes made two changes to his starting eleven, with new signing Alex Wynter coming in at left back and Sanchez Watt in front of him down the U’s left.

Cole Kpekawa dropped down to the bench, alongside Gavin Massey who hadn’t recovered enough from illness to make the starting line up.

The home side’s form had dropped off lately but they had the best of things early in the game.

A break from games had given the Posh players the chance of warm weather training in Spain and they certainly looked refreshed by their time abroad.

It took a great tip over by Sam Walker after only four minutes to prevent the hosts taking the lead, with Oztumer the player denied.

From the resultant corner, Bostwick flicked his near post effort just wide of the far post.

Walker was back in action in the thirteenth minute, palming another Oztumer effort away, and Newell should have done better than hitting the rebound well over the bar.

It was all Posh in the first half of the half but the clear cut chances were not coming, thanks in part to the U’s defence getting closer to the attacking players from the home side.

A shot on target did come from Newell on twenty seven minutes, though and Walker was directly behind it and made a comfortable save.

The U’s came into the game as an attacking force as the half went into its final ten minutes, with Sanchez Watt drilling a low shot just wide after good play from Elliott Hewitt.

Freddie Sears was fouled thirty yards out with three minutes of the half remaining but David Fox’s effort was well wide of Ben Alnwick’s right hand post.

It was a decent finish to the half for the U’s and the message would have been that the Posh defence could be got at, as long as possession could be kept in the middle third of the pitch.

The second half began more evenly than the first but it was the hosts who had the first effort on goal.

Bostwick just about got the ball away from a free kick four minutes in but Walker was right behind it and made a routine save.

A scramble in the U’s penalty area ended with David Fox getting it clear but James really should have done better with his effort.

Nine minutes in, the U’s broke clear from inside their own penalty area and took the lead.

Walker claimed a cross and launched a great throw out to George Moncur, who quickly relayed the ball down the right to the overlapping Sean Clohessy.

A low cross into the near post area was clipped in from just outside the six yard box by the U’s top scorer Freddie Sears.

It took a shell shocked Peterborough ten minutes to react with a chance but Elliott Hewitt was quickly out to block a long range shot.

Moncur shot low at the near post on sixty five minutes, but Alnwick was in the right place to save.

With seventeen minutes remaining, Rhys Healey replaced scorer Sears and the important second goal of the game went the U’s way five minutes later.

Hewitt picked the ball up inside his own half, nutmegged his first opposing defender and marauded forward towards the penalty area.

He put the ball onto his right foot and hit his low shot unerringly into the bottom corner to double the U’s lead.

There was no reaction from the hosts in the final ten minutes, with many of the home crowd leaving London Road for an early exit.

The three points reduced the points from safety from four to one, with the U’s having two home games to look forward to.

Advertisement block